This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Gymnastics?

Started by Guido Franchetti, December 9, 2017 · 18 Replies · 338 Views

Guido Franchetti

After about 1.5 years of GB I've also started to follow some beginner adult gymnastics classes. I think we are mostly working on (very, very basic) floor skills, possibly with some vaulting in the future. While I knew nothing about gymnastics before GB, I am finding that I really like it. So I was wondering if training proper gymnastics skills, obviously with some coach at some gym, with the aim of participating to basic competitions, would be realistic. Of course, I see competitions as a way to get a bit more pressure, excitement and fun, but take it as a given that anything high level is out of reach. Given the fact that I am 32, with a knee and hip fracture in the past, and a career of non-athletic type, I expect the answer to be not, but I am curious if anyone has any comments about it. 

Is this a good website to get an idea of the various elements?
http://www.codeofpoints.com/

Some of the A skills look vaguely possible to get... in fact Manna is class C, but not necessarily something I would put in the vaguely possible category.

For the elements which are part of Foundation, another example is the straddle planche, would the version we train in GB be "competition ready" (of course as part of a routine) or would much more refinement be needed before the element can be presented at a competition?

Jin Liu

That's a great goal! I won't be much of a help as I've been pretty much nonathletic my whole life. But from my recent experience, having a goal, something you don't take lightly, can change you completely. Even if you don't end up going to competitions, it will still take you very very far. 

Just to give some motivation, there's an Australian gymnast who didn't start training for gymnastics until 18 yo and he's huge for a gymnast (something above 6ft). And he competes, at a pretty high level, I believe. 

Jon Douglas

Certainly it is; why not! I tried my first adult gymnastic class a couple years ago now,  and did my first adult competition at 31.

Now I am starting to develop some fun skills, am helping out with conditioning for the competitive streams, and my gym is putting together a Masters team for 2018. At least over here in Australia, adult competitions are getting more numerous - this will be the third city I've done them in - and it's a lot of fun.

It's not like I'm turning Olympian (but neither are most pro athletes) and you risk going up against ex competitive guys (I have, with my couple years clumsy flailing not quite measuring up) since in gymnastics if you don't tuen pro 'Masters' division is something like 25 and older. But there's a lot to be gained from getting amongst some competition, it's a lot of fun, and for me it's helped my training immensely - are you training for a goal or just working out after all :)

Plus getting in better GST shape, and being in far better shape than required for the skills you are competing, will give you an enormous buffer for injury. I get away with all kinds of crazy stuff at 32 :)

Jon Douglas

Also re. Competition standards; the only version that gets a pass from Coach is the error-free textbook example of say, a straddle planche. You'll see plenty of arches and wobbles in competitive guys without the same degree of exhaustive preparation to perform skills perfectly. Remember you are not just training GST to be a strong person but to be strong for a competitive gymnast :)

Étienne Lajeunesse
42 minutes ago, Jon Douglas said:

Also re. Competition standards; the only version that gets a pass from Coach is the error-free textbook example of say, a straddle planche. You'll see plenty of arches and wobbles in competitive guys without the same degree of exhaustive preparation to perform skills perfectly. Remember you are not just training GST to be a strong person but to be strong for a competitive gymnast :)

I didn't even believe that competition for older people could be a thing.  I'm 23 and thought it was too late for me on this.  Even if I'm only at the beginning, it gives me motivation to push more.

How long did it take you to start competitions?

Jon Douglas
8 minutes ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

I didn't even believe that competition for older people could be a thing.  I'm 23 and thought it was too late for me on this.  Even if I'm only at the beginning, it gives me motivation to push more.

How long did it take you to start competitions?

A few months after joining? I had some basic tumbling, some rings series and good flexibility; I did most of my first competition on strength elements and bare minimum skills, in my view. Ages ranged from 18- 50+ and I competed floor,  rings and pbars.

I'm certainly not going to stack up against ex competitors that gave it up but honestly if I'm not looking to go pro it isn't about winning. Just good fun and motivation that absolutely will push you to go further than you have before :)

Étienne Lajeunesse
1 hour ago, Jon Douglas said:

Info on this years Masters games; this is a little more serious than the inter club meets i went to, but I had mates in it that were around my level.

http://www.australianmastersgames.com/extra.asp?ID=7417

Thanks, is it only in australia? Do you know if other countries give this

Jon Douglas
43 minutes ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Thanks, is it only in australia? Do you know if other countries give this

I don't know personally as this is where I live at the moment; someone else may be able to chime in with their country of choice, or you may have to search around :)

Étienne Lajeunesse
24 minutes ago, Jon Douglas said:

I don't know personally as this is where I live at the moment; someone else may be able to chime in with their country of choice, or you may have to search around :)

I'll look around... or move in Australia ahah :)

Where do you train, the gym's name?

Guido Franchetti

It's nice to hear some encouragement @Jin Liu and @Jon Douglas, thanks!

Jon, thanks a lot for the info. Did you find some of the elements (floor, rings, high bar...) to be more approachable than others as an adult?

@Alessandro Mainente do you know how things work in Italy?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Things in Italy works this way:

-you can do gymnastics at amateur level where movements are basic and easier

-if you want to compete in the professional field you need to do all the apparatus or being a specialist on one apparatus .the problem is finding a club which accepts you as an adult. Actually in my actually I do not accept adults who want to compete simply because they need so much more attention that I risk to slow down the other members of the team.

Jon Douglas

As Ale says ^

I cannot comment on entering professional FIG competition as an adult but I do not think it is realistic. At least not for me.

However, that does not mean competition is out of the question :)

 

I have found vault and high bar to be hardest as an adult, but this could be for any number of reasons of course ;)

Suzanna McGee

@Guido Franchetti, I have no experience in gymnastic competitions. But… I have been pretty much competing all my life in different things. And lately (as I am 52 now) starting a new sport at a "late" stage of life, compared to the tradition. I picked up bodybuilding when I was 31 and successfully competed (even earned a Ms. Natural Olympia title)… then started to play tennis at age 37 and eventually successfully competed at high levels… at 51 I found the pole (and through that GST). I am so not ready to compete yet, but I suspect that one day, I may… in the pole fitness, there are people (men and women) who started as late as in the 60s and successfully compete in the senior categories… Pole is just like "vertical gymnastics" kind of… so I think you could for sure go for it. Like the coaches say, it could be tough when you compete with the ex competitors (like it was for me in tennis), but really, who cares? It's more about you comparing yourself to your "previous you". Pushing yourself out of your comfort zones, because training for competition is intense. Dealing with the stress and fears being on stage… all these things make you tremendously better, not just in your physical prowess, but also your mind and confidence. With that said, I say "go for it". And keep us posted, please  :-) 

Guido Franchetti
9 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

it could be tough when you compete with the ex competitors (like it was for me in tennis), but really, who cares? It's more about you comparing yourself to your "previous you". Pushing yourself out of your comfort zones, because training for competition is intense. Dealing with the stress and fears being on stage… all these things make you tremendously better, not just in your physical prowess, but also your mind and confidence. With that said, I say "go for it". And keep us posted, please  :-) 

Yes that would be my reason for doing it!

I agree that professional FIG is very unlikely, hopefully I'll find something at a more amateur level. We'll see...

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente and @Rayne-William Fitzgerald for the info and links!

Jeffrey Bittner

Here in the U.S. adult gymnastics competitions are becoming more popular. I have seen some adult club teams training at local gyms and I even watched one lady in her late 30s do an exhibition competition last season. Unfortunately, I don't know much about it.

@Robert Davis Do you know anything about adult gymnastics competitions in the U.S.?

Robert Davis
On 12/12/2017 at 11:49 AM, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Here in the U.S. adult gymnastics competitions are becoming more popular. I have seen some adult club teams training at local gyms and I even watched one lady in her late 30s do an exhibition competition last season. Unfortunately, I don't know much about it.

@Robert Davis Do you know anything about adult gymnastics competitions in the U.S.?

Yes the NAIGC (https://www.naigc.net/) is a great source of clubs, contacts, and competitions within the adult gymnastics community in the US.  It is run mostly by volunteer alumni gymnasts who just love the sport and want to increase the opportunities for it (I am currently a technical adviser to the board).  Within the college circuit there are also some "open" meets where you can compete as an individual without being in college.  I know the Air Force has the Rocky Mountain Open and there is also a West Point open.  Alumni usually get to compete with their previous team during preseason events also (especially if they ask, like I do) - Minnesota has a special "alumni meet" every year, for example.

Jeffrey Bittner

Super great info, thanks @Robert Davis!