This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

I'm Confused by the set up of the workouts

Started by Hayley Purdom, December 6, 2017 · 12 Replies · 360 Views

Hayley Purdom

Basically I'm confused by the layout of the dashboard. I have read everything I can (although the information is kind of spread out and difficult to navigate) and I don't think I fully understand this system. I just purchased foundation 1 thinking I would be able to add this to my workout routine and then eventually move to foundation 2. But the way the work out is laid out there is very little follow along video content. And my main question is: are you only supposed to do one exercise from each workout group? When I go to settings to set up my workouts you can only add one PE from each workout category. This means that the upper body workouts and the core workouts only have 3 exercises and on leg day it is only 1 exercise. Surely this can't be right. I would think it would make more sense to do each PE from each group of exercises but I can't load up the follow along que that way. Instead I just have to look at the work out page and do it by memory/watch the videos all individually. This format seems very choppy for a 200 dollar course. I see that there are different steps for recommended sets and reps but is that the only progressions? Or am I supposed to only do one exercise per group per day and then move on to the next exercise if that is too easy? A simple break down of the average work out for a beginner in foundation 1 would be really nice. Am I missing something?

 

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this new interface. Maybe if I had seen the previous interface it would make more sense but this is the first interface I have access to and it seems like the opposite of user friendly. Thanks for the help. 

Hayley

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Hayley, you have understood the structure. for every progression like planche, front lever, rope climbing, manna etc you have only one exercise per session coupled with its mobility which sometimes prepares your for the following one and sometimes it is necessary for future purposes. Said that, the course it is very progressive and detailed, the fact that it is so much structured it is in order to avoid students rushing in the progressions and after meet injury. trust the method, my friend! it was my best choice!

Antonio Alías Montoya

Have you read the FAQ? Everything is explained there. If you want to check future progressions you can go to course library. Don t forget to post check forms and read this forum to get all the benefits.

Bill Marr

Welcome Hayley:

Beware of the GST trap. If you have any workout experience whatsoever, you first start out and ask the same questions you are asking: is that it? Be assured it won't take long for you to be humbled by this course. Give it time, stick with the program, and you will quickly find this is terrific value for your $200+ investment!

Enjoy!

Sean Schade

If it seems easy now enjoy it because it won’t last. :)

My first week I could do core, upper body, and lower body all on the same day. That lasted one week! :D

Valerie Morwood

I agree. In terms of how long this program will last (ie. I achieve SLS, hbp, rc, sPL, fl, sl, mn), the program is an awesome deal. Almost a year in, and still not half way through foundation 1.

Jennifer Marie

I'll throw in here too. Coming from a weightlifting, running, and CrossFit background, I looked at the programming and thought I'd run right through F1, but I was quickly humbled and even backed up and reset some progressions to "master" stuff I would've sworn I was good at before signing up for the course. 

If I were to do the math, it would work out to pennies per workout, along with bigger gains than I've seen, month over month, and quarter over quarter, than in other fitness endeavors. Give it a few weeks, Hayley. You'll get used to the dashboard and other features, and then you'll enjoy the challenge of the assigned workouts too.

Leo Trinidad

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I appreciate it personally. :)

Hayley Purdom

Ok guys. Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick with it and judge the workouts by the smiley face system. I'm still skeptical about the leg workout. Only one exersise for 3 to 5 sets seems like a really small load for legs. In previous workout routines I'd learned that legs should sometimes see the most load because they are the strongest muscle group? Do any of you pair any of these workouts with other weightlifting or cardio work? Like weighted squats or running or things like that? What do you recommend? A single exercise for legs just seems really simplistic. 


Thanks again for the help.

Alessandro Mainente

Legs can be trained with high load and high volume if your body structure (tendon primarily) are prepared to hold them. If we are not able to show a beginner level work we should not have problems in the future. one important thing that I've noticed in my weightlifting gym it is the hips imbalances. the most important thing for now on foundations it is the hips prehab at the beginning. no weight should be added to imbalanced hips. with restricted range of motion.

Janno Rillo
15 hours ago, Hayley Purdom said:

Ok guys. Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick with it and judge the workouts by the smiley face system. I'm still skeptical about the leg workout. Only one exersise for 3 to 5 sets seems like a really small load for legs. In previous workout routines I'd learned that legs should sometimes see the most load because they are the strongest muscle group? Do any of you pair any of these workouts with other weightlifting or cardio work? Like weighted squats or running or things like that? What do you recommend? A single exercise for legs just seems really simplistic. 


Thanks again for the help.

Hayley, if still skeptical, then I would suggest you a little homework to listen to this podcast: https://tim.blog/2016/05/09/the-secrets-of-gymnastic-strength-training/

Coach discusses lots of GB background there and why the setup is like that and not the other way around.

Jennifer Marie

Oh yes, that's a great podcast, Janno! That's why I'm here. I listened to it twice before taking the plunge. 

Cardio? Yes, definitely. I believe the recommendation is to do just the GB programming for a couple of weeks to see how your body adjusts to the workouts before adding in extras like cardio or lifting. However, I'll admit I didn't go that way. Lifting heavy and a good sweat is what keeps my insomnia in check. It also slows my GB progress, and that's the tradeoff I've accepted.

 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
On 12/7/2017 at 7:50 AM, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

Have you read the FAQ? Everything is explained there. If you want to check future progressions you can go to course library. Don t forget to post check forms and read this forum to get all the benefits.

For those that have not previously read the FAQ and other relevant portions of the course material (Emphasis added).

The FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) in the course material mentioned in the quoted post above.

Quote

How many workouts per day can I do?
For someone brand new to the program we recommend doing one workout per day. The GB program is designed for you to create your own schedule. How many workouts you can do per day depends on how well you are recovering in between workouts. If you can do upper body, lower body and handstand all in one day without feeling over worked you may definitely do that.

11. How many workouts per week should I do?
It depends on your ability. For beginners we recommend doing each workout once per week. After you perform each workout once per week for at least 3 weeks, you can consider adding another workout to your weekly schedule.

From the course material: Fitness: Introduction- Getting started, Individual Recovery Varies

Quote

Getting Started

If you are a raw beginner, you will of course begin from the absolute beginning. This means that both programming and progression-wise you will start with Day 1 of Week 1 for the first PE exercises and integrated mobilities for every element.

If however you have some fitness training under your belt, you may use a more accelerated method for your GB Foundation training. Now don’t get overly excited as you will still need to perform AND demonstrate mastery of each and every exercise in the progressions. There is no escape from this as it ensures that there are no holes in your physical preparation.

[For example on workout day 1, attempt to perform the Week 11 (found in Block 3) programming of HBP/PE1 and HBP/PE1>iM. If you are successful, using correct form and tempo, the next workout day you may proceed on to attempting the Week 11 programming of HBP/PE2 and HBP/PE2>iM etc etc. You may continue on in this fashion demonstrating MASTERY of a new HBP/PE and HBP/PE>iM per workout day, until you reach a HBP/PE OR HBP/PE>iM where you fail to complete the week 11 programming with correct form and tempo.]

Once you reach this point, depending on how difficult the next element is for you, you will begin the next week at either week 1, week 5 or week 9 of the 12 week cycle for the HBP/PE which you now need to master.

Individual Recovery Varies

When beginning Gymnastics Strength Training (GST) the majority of people will find a four day/week training schedule the most effective; not only in terms of scheduling, but also in terms of their bodies’ ability to recover from the workouts.

However as individual recovery ability can vary widely; there is also a significant percentage of the training population who will either benefit from less work (the two or even one day/week schedule) or more work (the six day/week schedule).

Which of these schedules will be the most the effective for you will depend entirely your own personal recovery ability; which in turn is something which you will only discover thru experience.

Note that there is no intrinsic value in choosing one schedule over another; your choice should be solely based on which of the schedules best fits your own particular blend physical strengths and weaknesses. There is no benefit in forcing yourself to do that which you are not suited for.

 

Fitness: Introduction- Weekly Workout Schedules (Foundation course only) The handstand course is where training all seven foundation elements in one workout is introduced.

Quote

The following are the weekly schedules for low recovery (3 day), medium recovery (4 day) and high recovery people (5 day).

  • 3 Day Schedule WK 1 - Mon/Fri: FL/sPL/HBP/RC Wed: MN/SL/SLS WK 2 - Mon/Fri: MN/SL/SLS Wed: FL/sPL/HBP/RC
  • 4 Day Schedule Mon/Thu: FL/sPL/HBP/RC Tue/Fri: MN/SL/SLS
  • 5 Day Schedule Mon/Wed/Fri: FL/sPL/HBP/RC Tue/Thu: MN/SL/SLS


*Key: FL = Front Lever; sPL = Straddle Planche; HBP = Hollow Back Press; RC = Rope Climb; Mn = Manna; SL = Side Lever; SLS = Single Leg Squat