This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Side lever blocks - forearm pains

Started by Emiliano Poggi, December 4, 2017 · 8 Replies · 128 Views

Emiliano Poggi

Hi all,

anyone ever experienced forearm pain (externally around the extensor ulnaris muscles) during the "side lever block" exercises?

Immediately after trying the exercise a few times, I've experienced a huge fire on the right arm (when in press mode) immediately after releasing the hold on the stallbar.

The same exercise performed with left arm pressing does not produce any pain even if I left the exercise because even with left I was close to hurt the forearm.

Since then, my right forearm is hurting on pressing exercises, like handstand and planche lean.

For 4 weeks I've been avoiding exercises of that kind and the situation improved a bit.

I know, I should (and I will) listen to a doctor, but I'de be glad if someone has experienced the same issues with the same exercise.

Thanks all guys,

 

image.png.41dbb229624d11a8f64efd5c388837f7.png

Everett Carroll

Hey Emiliano,

As you've already mentioned, visiting with a doctor is a good idea. I experienced a similar issue a couple of years back and had to take time off of exercises like SL Blocks, MN Progressions involving hand supports, and specific sPL and HS training. In three weeks, I was healed and ready to begin easing back into those positions. In fact, I ended up seeing significant improvement in every area upon my return and I'm sure it's because I used those weeks to refine my basics and I give my body some much needed rest. When issues like this come up, it typically means you've been working a bit too hard. My issue was caused by pure overuse and it's important to keep in mind that when you train as hard as we do with the GB Courses, a week or two or even three away from some exercises is often more helpful than harmful. 

Please let us know what your doc says and avoid any stressful/painful movements. 

Pauline Taube

I have also experienced this pain after adding SL blocks to my warmup. My issue was also overuse and my therapist said that my shoulder stabilizers were not strong enough to handle that load (too much too soon). 

I am also curious to hear what your therapist finds out and wish you a speedy recovery!

Jeremy Huston

I have had a similar issue. I found letting go more slowly helps a lot. So when I finish the set, I don't immediately let go but relax my grip over a couple seconds. 

Suzanna McGee

I get it sometimes (and sometimes not) when I practice this move on the pole. It seems even harder on the pole, because the bottom hand is even more rotated. When I start feeling it, I just do a few more and don't overdo it… and then afterwards, I massage (deep, sort of trigger point release style) all the little muscles in my forearm a lot. I can feel which ones are sore/tired for sure. That often helps and next time I am fresh and ready to go again. 

Alessandro Mainente

This problem is an inflammation of the external tissue of the bone and/or the inner tissue in between the 2 forearms bones. it is hard to manage and it can be done by an experienced therapist. it happens when strong isometric contractions are performed in case of the weak forearm. a specific program to increase strength in grip supination/pronation must be implemented.

Benjamin Whyte

Alessandro - any chance you can go into a bit more detail here? Thx

Alessandro Mainente

There is nothing too much to say,  handstand one has a good wrist prevention exercise program.

Jon Douglas

I've had some active release therapy done on wrist to address this very quickly and effectively also. It can result in tightness that restricts external rotation and in some cases this causes the extra few degrees to be found in the elbow or higher, which leads to a whole chain of small compensations that add up.

Regardless of whether you get any work done you will need to rest it a bit to reduce the inflammation, its potentially no more than overused, but it won't heal if you keep on it :D