This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE1

Started by Sarah Gordon, December 3, 2017 · 15 Replies · 216 Views

Sarah Gordon

Hi, I have been working this for a few months & I would like to see how I can improve my form. Appreciate your comments. Sarah

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Sarah Gordon,

Form looks good to me, just try not to lose the shape as you go down. If you can see from the video, as you descend down to the pushup, your lower back slightly arches a bit. Make sure to maintain the shape of the body all throughout the exercise. Protracted upper back and posterior pelvic tilt. For the mobility, it is a bit hard to see from the video angle. Keep up the good work.

Sarah Gordon

Hi, OK, thanks for the tips. I will work on this. Sarah

Nathaniel McAdoo

From a gymnastics perspective, is this a good video for a basic pushup? I’m rather confused on this. I see a lot of people with shoulders more “forward” and not retracted, and others retracting. Which is correct? 

I personally struggle a lot with the “shoulders forward” version19F53B42-8697-4913-9DF0-012BFBD32DD1.thumb.png.62ad68d28c3573973054d3d46e1a1e55.png

(shoulders forward)

@Mainente Alessandro and @Leo Trinidad

 

Antonio Alías Montoya

Not a bad video. It points some good things. You want PPT, straight body line, shoulder width apart, hands under the shoulders, shoulder blades completely protacted and depressed at the top, when you go down they will naturally retract a bit but working this protaction at the top will activate the serratus before going down again, depression should never be lost and protaction shouldn t be confused with curling the upper spine.

Sarah Gordon

Hi there, Form check. Comments gratefully received. One note in iM it seems my shoulder rotates very little compared to other trainees. Would one of the coaches comment about this please. Thanks as always.

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi Sarah,

For your pushup, you would like to try and maintain that 0:04 position on top of each rep. It would be better if you can post a side view of your mobility. 

Sarah Gordon
6 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi Sarah,

For your pushup, you would like to try and maintain that 0:04 position on top of each rep. It would be better if you can post a side view of your mobility. 

Hi Leo, try this side view. 

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi Sarah,

Pull the dumbbell way past your ear before rotating your torso to the side. Also make sure to keep your body straight and not to tilt on one side when you rotate. At no point should you lose body tension. I hope this helps. 

Sarah Gordon

Hi Leo, OK I will work on this. Thanks.

Sarah Gordon

bump @Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Sarah, the general mistake is that during the second part of the movement, shoulders begin to lift before the hips and this breaks the alignment. you need to hold the body as a single unit. if you can't probably using an intermediate height for the hands in between PE1 and PE2 is the solution.

Sarah Gordon

Hi, OK, thanks. I will try keeping body alignment & raise my hands if I can not manage it yet. Thanks again.

Sarah Gordon

@Alessandro Mainente

 Hi, I moved up to a bench as you suggested. I seem to be able to do more reps. I worked 5x5 yesterday. Do you agree this is a good number to work within?

 

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Sarah Gordon said:

@Alessandro Mainente

 Hi, I moved up to a bench as you suggested. I seem to be able to do more reps. I worked 5x5 yesterday. Do you agree this is a good number to work within?

 

your goal should be 5x15r.