This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pe2im

Started by Valerie Morwood, December 2, 2017 · 8 Replies · 120 Views

Valerie Morwood

I am really frustrated and discouraged with PE2 IM. I have been on this for several months and I have seen very little improvement. It doesn't seem to matter how wide my arms are, I can't get the bar to the proper height, and as you can see in the video below, even the height I get it too feels like a huge strain. It is light-weight wood so it is not too heavy. I work on shoulder extension regularly with thoracic bridge course, crab walks, and front lever mobility progressions. What am I doing wrong? Will I ever get it, or am I looking into a bleak future with no handstand, and being stuck on PE2 forever.

 

Fiona Silk

This is of absolutely no help at all, but I'm about to post a video of mine, and in comparison yours is absolutely banging! 

Todd Sprenkle

My understanding is that if you can do dislocates, then you should be able to bring the bar to horizontal starting at the hand separation at which you can do a dislocate. Just don't do move the bar above horizontal when practicing this move. In theory, with practice you should eventually be able to reduce the hand separation.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Valerie Morwood,

Your shoulder extension is not bad. Do not overthink it too much. Yes you will get it and yes you will work on your shoulder extension even if you master HS PE2. Remember that as your body becomes stronger then it also becomes tighter. Since I have started back in 2013, I am still working on my shoulder extensions up to now. When I started, mine was a lot lower than that. Continue doing your practice. You are on the right track. Strengthening the other elements like HBP and RC along with their iM will also help with your shoulder extension. I hope this helps. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Valerie, think that some of my clients are not able to lift the bar at 90° with a grip that it is doubled compared to yours!

Try to stretch the chest before doing the exercise. I'm pretty sure that this will help you.

Valerie Morwood

Fiona, thanks. It is easy to lose perspective by forgetting how far I have come, and instead focusing on how much I have to go. Keep working with patience (advice I need to take).

Todd, thanks for the tip. I am not good at dislocates, but maybe I need to practice.

Leo, thanks for the encouragement. It definitely helps to know that you (and many others) have successfully worked through mobility plateaus.  Of course I will keep working at it, frustration is very motivating for me.

Alexander, thanks for the stretching advice. My chest is really tight.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Also, consider that there is a direct correlation between tight anterior shoulder / chest and difficulties on shoulder extension.

Valerie Morwood

What stretch do you recommend? Is the supine shoulder extension from the thoracic bridge series appropriate?

Étienne Lajeunesse
12 minutes ago, Valerie Morwood said:

What stretch do you recommend? Is the supine shoulder extension from the thoracic bridge series appropriate?

Hi Valerie, 

I exactly use this one to help my shoulder extensions. 

I also like to simulate the PE2 iM by putting my hands behind me onto something elevated enough so I can get a 90 degrees with my shoulders.  From there, I straighten my torso and push my chest out.