This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Clicking easy smile in tumbling

Started by Étienne Lajeunesse, November 30, 2017 · 6 Replies · 88 Views

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi coaches,

Quick question, can we click the easy smile to get to the next step (not next element) for a skill if we are able to do it, but not with perfect form?

I know that the more we practice, the more we get better. But, if I limit my training to what the programming's suggesting, it will be long before I get to perfect form.

What do you think?

Mikey Cunanan

Etienne,

It's best to wait until your form is perfect before pressing the easy smile. The goal is to perform all sets and reps without any errors, which will ultimately lead to 25 total repetitions without error. However, this does not mean that you cannot fit some extra sets in for practice.

Rushing too fast will ultimately lead to you hitting a brick wall with the progressions. Rather than thinking of this as "strength or mobility training" you should consider it a test of application for your strength and mobility. 

 

Étienne Lajeunesse
5 hours ago, Mikey Cunanan said:

Etienne,

It's best to wait until your form is perfect before pressing the easy smile. The goal is to perform all sets and reps without any errors, which will ultimately lead to 25 total repetitions without error. However, this does not mean that you cannot fit some extra sets in for practice.

Rushing too fast will ultimately lead to you hitting a brick wall with the progressions. Rather than thinking of this as "strength or mobility training" you should consider it a test of application for your strength and mobility. 

 

Thanks Mikey for the clarifications.  So I can add some sets wherever I am!  Do you suggest a limit or I do as many as I can as long I can keep a good quality of practice?

Mikey Cunanan

@Étienne Lajeunesse

When it comes to training (especially skills training) always aim for quality. This ensures that you don’t develop bad technique in your pursuit to learning a new skill.  5 min or so should be plenty extra on a skill. 

Étienne Lajeunesse
4 minutes ago, Mikey Cunanan said:

@Étienne Lajeunesse

When it comes to training (especially skills training) always aim for quality. This ensures that you don’t develop bad technique in your pursuit to learning a new skill.  5 min or so should be plenty extra on a skill. 

Yes of course! When I do this, I usually practice until I see that I can't keep a good form anymore.

Thanks Mikey!

Benjamin Nutt
On 11/30/2017 at 6:21 PM, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Thanks Mikey for the clarifications.  So I can add some sets wherever I am!  Do you suggest a limit or I do as many as I can as long I can keep a good quality of practice?

I like to add extra sets if I’m struggling with form, especially at the lower rep range (1-2 reps). Sometimes I’ll do up to 10 sets focusing on one component with which I’m struggling, to get some more volume in without increasing intensity.

Étienne Lajeunesse
2 hours ago, Benjamin Nutt said:

I like to add extra sets if I’m struggling with form, especially at the lower rep range (1-2 reps). Sometimes I’ll do up to 10 sets focusing on one component with which I’m struggling, to get some more volume in without increasing intensity.

Yeah! I do that too now, I think it's the best way to learn.