Flexibility Coaching - Please help

Started by James McDonough, November 30, 2017 · 10 Replies · 2,666 Views

James McDonough

Hello Coaches,

Why my lower back is so rounded?

I'm trying to achieve a flat lower back downward dog movement as well as palms to touch the floor. Only after considerable warm-up can I barely touch my toes. It seems like my hips have very limited hinging but I have no idea if that is true or not.

What needs work? What stretches or movements should I work on? Happy to post whatever other pics needed to solve.

Thank you!

5a1f49776ad2d_2017-11-2917_44_17.thumb.jpg.f47078cca91d9c52b70e6358c969e524.jpg

5a1f497283c0e_2017-11-2917_45_17.thumb.jpg.2670c7e9295b8b2be579c20cf164ce3a.jpg

5a1f496db1fd5_2017-11-2917_47_51.thumb.jpg.007041cf1f25979eb055869b076668e2.jpg5a1f496863112_2017-11-2917_48_39.thumb.jpg.b6f43c0a86778160f257e69eca0f6224.jpg

 

Trying to get to this:

image.thumb.png.438b76bf3d7e12a2486a524c1a83b7c1.pngman-in-adho-mukha-svanasana-downward-fac

Alessandro Mainente

HI James, the problem it is not your rounded back. The rounded back it is a pure consequence of poor lower limbs posterior chain mobility. You need to increase the flexibility of hamstring, calves, ankles, and glutes. 

GB provides the stretch course for the front split.

James McDonough

Thank you Alessandro, 
What photos or tests would you need to highlight any specific dysfunction so that I can target that area?

Alessandro Mainente

Specific tests should be made by a physio especially because they must be done in a state of relaxation while taking off compensations.

Frank Santasiero

James,

Not sure I am following what is going on here. You start off your original post wondering why your downward dog looks so bad. Alessandro provided a great response. Basically, you are not flexible enough to get in that position so you compensate by rounding your back. 

Then in your next post you start talking about dysfunction. There is nothing dysfunctional about not being able to do a nice looking downward dog. Just follow the stretch courses and you will improve over time. At present your flexibility falls into the average male adult range and that is not very good. I was just about where you were one year ago and I have improved. It takes time and consistent effort.

James McDonough

Thank you Alessandro & Frank,

I had a physio do a full range of tests and they said my flexibility was fine other than saying I have weak glutes and my body is apparently not letting the other parts release... I wanted to see if your team had a different opinion.

Training wise I have done the Fundamentals course daily for over a year, ice hockey 2x week, weights 2x week.

Is the stretch course a better fit compared to Foundation?

Thanks again,

Everett Carroll

Hey James, 

Since you have completed Fundamentals, the Stretch Series and Foundation One are your next step. I hate suggesting one over the other because all 3 stretch courses and F1 are absolute necessities. Start training them both as soon as you can. You'll notice a serious improvement in your overall strength (glutes included) and whole-body mobility.

Antonio Alías Montoya
5 hours ago, James McDonough said:

I had a physio do a full range of tests and they said my flexibility was fine other than saying I have weak glutes and my body is apparently not letting the other parts release... 

Yes, it s kind of funny when the say that. They also said to me that my flexibility was fine, because I had average male flexibility, which means terrible flexibility. I m not saying your glute is not weak, it maybe is. But believe me your flexibility is really bad, just like me. You have to strecht, start with Front Split as suggested and Foundation and keep adding Thoracic Bridge and Middle Split as soon as possible. You need all of them for a better life if that s what you are looking for.

Shafi ur Rahman

agree with what antonio said, even in my case i started with F1, then bought fundamentals,then the H1 AND STRETCH SERIES. I do bodybuilding kind of workouts every other day ie 3 days weights 3 days GST.All the courses are worth the money.

Alessandro Mainente
On 1/12/2017 at 5:49 PM, James McDonough said:

Thank you Alessandro & Frank,

I had a physio do a full range of tests and they said my flexibility was fine other than saying I have weak glutes and my body is apparently not letting the other parts release... I wanted to see if your team had a different opinion.

Training wise I have done the Fundamentals course daily for over a year, ice hockey 2x week, weights 2x week.

Is the stretch course a better fit compared to Foundation?

Thanks again,

I'm sorry to say that probably you need to listen to another opinion from your physio. 

The length and posterior muscles chain it is evaluated with a "minimum" range of motion in the PT literature. the ability to reach at least the instep it is a reference for the forward bending. I'm saying instep and not touching the floor with the fingers.

George Chung

If you can’t do a 90 degree sit with legs extended and straight back with slight APT then you need to focus on your hammies imo. I am in the same boat.