This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

GB Core - Tuck-up Question

Started by Matt Peterson, November 29, 2017 · 5 Replies · 157 Views

Matt Peterson

So I just started getting into my GB routines (hopefully I can stick with it this time around) and I'm having some real problems with my tuck-ups. Should these be treated as an explosive movement or should my abs be strong enough to just do the movement without using a ton of momentum? And I guess what I mean by momentum / explosive is that if I completely tighten my body and explode off the floor, the tuck-up doesn't seem too bad. But if I simply try and use my abs to pull my upper body up, I usually manage maybe 1 to 2 tuck-ups before I'm just wrecked. Feels like I should be slightly stronger than just 1 or 2, but maybe it's just a glaring weakness of mine. 

Thanks for any tips.

Mikey Cunanan

Hey @Matt Peterson

Glad to see ya here on the forum. For the tuck up you will want to use the abs to tuck up into the top position. Over time, this will improve your core strength much more than if you were to use momentum.

Stick with Step 1 of the programming and stay consistent with your training. The results WILL come if you nourish it. 

And remember, you can always feel free to send a video of you demonstrating an exercise for review. Any of our homegrown GB online coaches will be more than happy to help you improve.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Generally speaking. Since your body movements create momentum.  Some momentum is fine, you just do not want so much that you fail to contract your core muscles. 

Watch the course videos for details when you have questions. If available watch the "Technique tip and scaling video" also.

For more information currently on MN/PE1: Tuck Ups

Matt Peterson

So here's video. The first rep is about as strict as I can go and complete a rep. The second rep is more explosive, where I'm flinging myself off the ground. Which is proper? 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Matt, the first one. Accelerated work it is suitable for more advanced athletes. Also at the beginning of a rep keep your legs together and your neck always neutral, not too much extended or flexed.

Petra Dvorak

It can also be helpfull to do holds of the top position and/or slow negatives when you are too tired to do more tuck ups.