This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE4 Arch Ups

Started by Alessandro Pantanella, November 29, 2017 · 9 Replies · 242 Views

Alessandro Pantanella

Hi guys, 

Since I started doing Arch Ups again I started experiencing low back pain. It's totally possible that it was due to a combination of that and sitting. 

Anyway, I dropped back to PE4 for few weeks and now I'm back to it. 

I want to make sure my form is good and I'm not compressing lower back. 

Thanks 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Alessandro yes it is definitely possible. After lumbar or legwork I tend to suggest some minutes on the "inversion bench" which gives a good amount of spinal decompression. Also generally the lower back pain it is associated with weak abs.

Alessandro Pantanella

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente,

I'll follow your suggestion and try and decompress the spine after lumbar work. Don't have an inversion bench but I can find some other ways. 

About the weak abs i think this is a good point, I've been working on making my core functional and fix issues for over a year now.

Thanks 

Alessandro Pantanella

@Alessandro Mainente I went all the way back to step1 and started using the reclined machine instead of the straight one to make the exercise easier. It has been good for few weeks till today when I was supposed to do 4x8.

Towards the end of the first set I started feeling the back pain again. Same towards the end of every set. Not sure if it's my form or still the weak abs. 

Here a video. In rep 1 and 4 I'm lifting only till back is straight, 2 and 3 I'm arching more, the way I usually do it. 

I'd appreciate a suggestion on form or on what to work on to fix it. 

Many thanks 

 

Alessandro Mainente

The back pain in this exercise it is usually related to weak glutes, when the butt muscles are not strong the common tendency it is more activation of the lower back muscles. Said that it is necessary to understand if it is muscles soreness or something else.

Alessandro Pantanella
16 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The back pain in this exercise it is usually related to weak glutes, when the butt muscles are not strong the common tendency it is more activation of the lower back muscles. Said that it is necessary to understand if it is muscles soreness or something else.

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente

Weak glutes is totally possible. I feel the pain in my spine, to meet feels like joint pain. And it subsides at soon as I stop. 

Any suggestions to strengthen the glutes? 

In SLS I'm at PE8, Speed Skater Squats, but as I descend I bent forward, can't keep the body straight. Maybe a sign of the same issue? 

Alessandro Mainente

Specifically back squat and lunges, something that I still suggest one you can complete the single leg squat.

Alessandro Pantanella
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Specifically back squat and lunges, something that I still suggest one you can complete the single leg squat.

Great thanks! 

Devon O'Neal
On 11/28/2017 at 9:44 PM, Alessandro Pantanella said:

Hi guys, 

Since I started doing Arch Ups again I started experiencing low back pain. It's totally possible that it was due to a combination of that and sitting. 

Anyway, I dropped back to PE4 for few weeks and now I'm back to it. 

I want to make sure my form is good and I'm not compressing lower back. 

 

I have been having the same issue, and I believe for me that it is weak glutes causing the lower back pain. My back was tight for a few days, and after some research, I found that weak glutes may be the cause, so I tried some leg lifts while focusing on contracting the glutes and that provided me with instant relief. This leads me to believe that I have weak glutes that caused my discomfort. I experimented and tried some arch ups while focusing on contracting the glutes along with muscles in the back, and it felt much better than how I was previously performing them by only focusing on the back.

Alessandro Pantanella

@Devon O'Neal very similar experience to mine. I got rid of the pain and progressed doing 2 sets of isometrics before starting the exercise.

Basically I hold the arched position twice for 16-24 seconds as pre-strength. This way more fibres of the glutes muscles activate and I'm able to use the better.

Also I focus on keeping a strong PPT during the exercise (helps to engage the glutes) and keeping the belly in all the time activating the transversus to protect the lower back.