This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Chinese Handstands Gym workaround

Started by Christopher Denzer, November 27, 2017 · 13 Replies · 194 Views

Christopher Denzer

Hi forum:

 

Has anyone figured out some genius way of doing these in a gym environment? I don't have access to parallel bars or low ceilings or doorways! Is there something you've figured out in a squat rack or the like?

Jeremy Huston

My gym has a cable-cross machine whose cross bar is just the right height. It also has pull-up grips on it that would work.

Christopher Denzer

Thanks Jeremy. I guess my issue is getting into the handstand. Kicking up into it is dodgy, since a miss would mean crashing into the back of the cable machine. How do you get into the HS safely?

Everett Carroll

I've successfully adjusted the height of the barbell on some squat racks for these. Be conservative if the area is cluttered and pad the surrounding area if possible!

Jennifer Marie

I've stretched a mobility band across the J-hooks of the squat rack. This way, if I kick too hard, I'm not bruising my shins. AND, if I kick too hard, I bounce back to my feet, so I can't overpower it, like it do for the wall handstands.

Christopher Denzer

THIS IS GENIUS!! Doing this immediately.

Mikey Cunanan
2 hours ago, Jennifer Marie said:

I've stretched a mobility band across the J-hooks of the squat rack. This way, if I kick too hard, I'm not bruising my shins. AND, if I kick too hard, I bounce back to my feet, so I can't overpower it, like it do for the wall handstands.

That's actually an awesome idea! I will have to try this out! Great thinking there Jennifer.

Jennifer Marie

Thanks guys! I'd peeked ahead in my programming, saw that parallel bar set up, and really wanted to try it somehow... happy discovery. I'd love to hear how it goes!

Christopher Denzer

Jennifer, I tried this today and had some trouble getting into the HS. Do you straight just kick up into the handstand and hope you hit the band and not crash into the wall behind the rack?

Jennifer Marie

Hi Chris,

Are you crashing into the wall because the band is stretching, or are you missing the band completely when you kick? 

For the latter, I measure the height like CrossFit measures for handstand pushups -- arms overhead, and mark the line at the wrist (maybe a little lower, but not below head height).

For the former, I pick the tightest band I can get my hands on, but I'm sure we could brainstorm other ideas. How much space do you have between where you place your hands and the wall?

Christopher Denzer

I didn’t actually crash into the wall, because I crept backwards up the right support of the rack like a weird lizard and then moved over on my hands to the outstretched band. There are several feet of space between where I put my hands and the rear wall of the rack. I guess I just have to not be a chicken and kick up, trusting I won’t somehow miss. 

Jennifer Marie

I understand! 

Trusting your kick up will help in other progressions. Have you tried practicing a slow kick up against a wall? What I mean is, trying to kick up just enough that you brush the wall, but don't slam into it. Knowing just how much you need to hit vertical will translate to confidence in this banded kick up I think.

Christopher Denzer

Good advice. I’ll start on it.

Suzanna McGee

Another pretty way to get up is to press up into your handstand  ;-)  (hee hee, I am just kidding a little bit, you are probably not there yet…)