This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson curl (again and always!)

Started by Étienne Lajeunesse, November 25, 2017 · 17 Replies · 258 Views

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi! Another post about Jefferson curl.  Sorry for that :)

I (re)started doing it last week but I've done it a year ago before coming back to MN PE1.  I was about just heavier than 45lbs, so I tried it again and went pretty well.  Do you think I can keep it this way or should I lower the weight (less than 45lbs) before coming back here?

Btw, I felt it a lot in the glutes, is this where we're suppose to feel the burn?

Now, the big question (so many posts on it!!!), I just want to confirm that we have to reach at least 45lbs for mastery.  Is this right?

Thanks a lot :)

Everett Carroll

Hey Etienne,

Aim for 50% of bodyweight for MN/PE2>iM mastery.

Can you send in a video of your form so we can better answer your glute question?

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi @Everett Carroll

Here's the form check.

Front view 

Side view (sorry for the angle, I can take another one if need to)

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

A general common mistake it is that you are moving the bar away from the body. this increases a lot the stress on the spine. You need to move away the bar ONLY  to pass under the feet during the descent portion and when you have to move over the feet in the ascent part (in the rest of the exercise the bar should stay as much closer to the legs as possible)

Étienne Lajeunesse

I'll send a form check with the corrections.  Thanks :)

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

The "burn" should be felt mostly in your spinal erectors. Flexing your quadriceps and pressing your toes down will help reduce reliance on your gluteal muscles.

Étienne Lajeunesse
6 hours ago, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

The "burn" should be felt mostly in your spinal erectors. Flexing your quadriceps and pressing your toes down will help reduce reliance on your gluteal muscles.

Well, I feel my spinal erectors coming back up at some point and pressing my toes down makes my glutes work even harder.  That's why I'm asking.

Leo Trinidad

Doing the thoracic bridge stretch course along with refining early elements like bent body hollow hold, bent body hollow rocks, cat cow, deck squats and tuck ups to name a few will help you get better at jefferson curls. When I do them, I feel the burn in all my muscles since everything is well distributed because of activating and engaging everything. :) I hope this helps.

Étienne Lajeunesse
6 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Doing the thoracic bridge stretch course along with refining early elements like bent body hollow hold, bent body hollow rocks, cat cow, deck squats and tuck ups to name a few will help you get better at jefferson curls. When I do them, I feel the burn in all my muscles since everything is well distributed because of activating and engaging everything. :) I hope this helps.

I understand what you mean.  Those are great ideas!

The thing is not that I don't engage anything or have problems to activate my muscles.  My question was only to know where I should feel it and correct it as I go.  I consider myself mobile enough anteriorly to control the jefferson.  I've got some work to do posteriorly though ahah. 

And here again, I'm in hip rehab to deactivate my chronically stiff right hamstring.

But as I said, I'll send a form check to see where I can improve!

Jin Liu

Great thread! Sorry to highjack it. What @Alessandro Mainente mentioned about weight moving too faraway from the body caught my attention. Is what I do below ok or did I let the weight go too faraway from body? Thanks!

 

Étienne Lajeunesse

There's going to have a lot of J curl videos here!

Alessandro Mainente

From my point of view yes, the primary goal it is the extension so everything concerned with safety can be added here. when you begin the second part of the lift the weight it too far. you should aim to pull it to the legs after passing the toes.

Jennifer Marie

Wait... 50% body weight for mastery? I thought I was doing well planning to bump up to 35# this week. I suspect I'll be seriously bored with the PE before my mobility hits that high of a weight.

Though, let me confirm, I heard for this movement, we should move up weight very, very slowly. What's an ideal weight to time progression (assuming the back is agreeable to the jumps, of course)?

Could I add five pounds every couple of sessions? I've been going much slower than that to be careful with my back.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Étienne Lajeunesse
21 minutes ago, Jennifer Marie said:

Could I add five pounds every couple of sessions? I've been going much slower than that to be careful with my back.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

As I remember reading it, it's 5-10lbs every 8-12 weeks.

Jennifer Marie

Ah, ok. I knew I read something about going very slow... So every two to three months, and I'd need to reach 75#, so four jumps of ten pounds every eight weeks would take me well into the summer. Maybe longer. Looks like a good reason to splurge on Thrive and drop a few pounds! :D

Thanks for the confirm Etienne!

Everett Carroll
On 12/5/2017 at 9:47 AM, Jennifer Marie said:

Could I add five pounds every couple of sessions? I've been going much slower than that to be careful with my back.

Hey Jennifer,

I always suggest remaining on the same weight for 8-12 weeks. After 8-12 weeks, go ahead and bump it up. Let your body decide how much to add, keeping in mind that the weight should always feel very manageable and easy to curl, even immediately after it has been increased. 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi @Alessandro Mainente and @Everett Carroll.  How's the form now, better?

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

Nicely done.