Conditioning? Recommendations on how to integrate it

Started by warfit, March 25, 2010 · 3 Replies · 2,316 Views

warfit

I am working on a steady state program where I am performing basic strength exercises 4 x per week. My question is where should I get my metabolic conditioning from while on this strength program? Or should I just focus on the strength aspect? How do gymnasts get their incredible conditioning while on a steady strength training program?

Other question I have is will working FSP's only once per exercise, per week be enough? I will focus on one FSP each strength training day.

taedoju

i would do 2 days of dedicated conditioning,either running or circuits (jump rope, whatever you like) and i would add one (for starters) finisher after strength (gymnastic) work

i.e

mon-gym A training + finisher => (100 burpees, jump rope for timed intervals,tabata intervals on bike)

t- gym B training

wensday- circuits

t-gym A training

Friday- gym b traininG

S- running

S-REST

Blairbob

Gymnasts train 20-30 hours a week which is 2-3x what most fitness enthusiasts train. As well, they also vault and tumble which is or very close to sprinting.

This burns up a lot of calories and contributes to their cardiovascular capacity.

warfit

Thanks for the feedback. I will just add a couple of days of sprints/intervals/parkour practice.