This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HipJoint capsule remodeling

Started by Jonas Berglund, November 22, 2017 · 11 Replies · 305 Views

Jonas Berglund

Hi everyone!

I visited a physio yesterday about my tight hip.

 problem: internal rotation on right leg is only 10degrees(25-30left). After 1 year of zero progress on swirvel hips i did get away from my patient mindset and stretched IR abit to hard so now my hip are also irritated/inflamed. Hopefully this Will get better with some rest.

Anyway, the physio was not sure IF i could anatomicly get better Internal rotation because he suspects its joint capsule related.(etc some people have longer femurs left/right and what not).

I am not givning up that Easy tho. Would be absolutely awesome IF i could get some thoughts/inputs from this board.Can Joint capsule tightness be improved? What can we do about it? What do we miss out on athleticly IF the IR Will stay at 10degrees? Side split impossible? 

Except for the Internal rotation I am making some great progress with GB, thank you.

Jonas

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Jonas,  good thing you bringing this up.  I've had some hip joint irritation too but my physio thinks I have micro tears in my hip flexors with this however.  

I don't think your problem could stop you to do full IR but I'm still wondering what coaches have to say about your questions!

 

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hi again Jonas! It looks like you and me have the same problems! I have exactly the same problem, complete lack of internal rotation in my right hip. My physio pointed it was tight capsule and fascia lata tensor. Don t get discouraged from what your physio said. You can certainly improved that. I ve also been one year with swivel hips seeing almost no progress until very recently i implemented in a daily basis the stretches recommended by my physio. I m starting to see a progress finally. I really think we should call each other so that i can explain you what i m doing, but first i could send you a video of the exercises. Lets keep in contact Jonas! I ll try to film the video this coming weekend.

Mikey Cunanan

@Jonas Berglund

Some people experience restriction in the joint capsule during internal rotation while the knee is flexed. In this case, I find it can be helpful to stretch hip internal rotation while in extension.

Lie face down on the floor. Bend your knee to 90 degrees and loop a stretch strap around your foot. Keep your thighs parallel and slowly start to rotate your foot towards the outside to stretch your internal rotators.

Hold for 30-60 seconds and switch legs. 

This keeps your femur in a better position to internally rotate because your pelvis will not be in the way.

Suzanna McGee
4 hours ago, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

but first i could send you a video of the exercises. Lets keep in contact Jonas! I ll try to film the video this coming weekend.

Antonio, please, post your video for us here, I am very interested too… Both (even though the left is worse) my internal and external rotation need some extra improvement. I am curious to see as well. 

Jonas Berglund

Etienne & Antonio,, seems like we have some similar Weak/tight links. Lets embrace the suck together and help eachother out. 

I did get some exercises from my physio aswell, Will try those for 2 weeks and then let you know. Very intressted in your exercises aswell Antonio.

 

@Mikey Cunanan, Really appreciate your advice, Will try that one today and maybe film it for a formcheck. Thank you!

Antonio Alías Montoya
6 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Antonio, please, post your video for us here, I am very interested too… Both (even though the left is worse) my internal and external rotation need some extra improvement. I am curious to see as well. 

Ok. I think I prefer  to upload some pics and write down the execution to explain myself better. But I must say they are pretty regular exercises, not anything extraordinary :-).

Jonas Berglund
14 hours ago, Mikey Cunanan said:

@Jonas Berglund

Some people experience restriction in the joint capsule during internal rotation while the knee is flexed. 

@Mikey Cunanan,, do you mean HIP and not KNEE? 

Trying to visualise your advice and the knee seem to be in the same position (flexed) in your exercise as in the swirvel hips.

but the hip Will have a different Angle. Or am i missunderstanding?

will try this out in a couple hours.

Mikey Cunanan
On 11/23/2017 at 7:10 AM, Jonas Berglund said:

@Mikey Cunanan,, do you mean HIP and not KNEE? 

Trying to visualise your advice and the knee seem to be in the same position (flexed) in your exercise as in the swirvel hips.

but the hip Will have a different Angle. Or am i missunderstanding?

will try this out in a couple hours.

The hip will be straight rather than bent. Try it this way and hen after a month or so try swivel hips again to see if that helps.

Tyler Smith

Does anyone have a video showing the hip exercises? Same problem in left hip. Completely prevents getting into the hurdler position. Thanks!

Oussama KHELLADI
On 24/03/2018 at 5:00 AM, Tyler Smith said:

Does anyone have a video showing the hip exercises? Same problem in left hip. Completely prevents getting into the hurdler position. Thanks!

if you want the swivel hips 

 

Tyler Smith

Thanks!