This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weighted bar recommendation

Started by Joseph Prado, November 20, 2017 · 6 Replies · 291 Views

Joseph Prado

Starting HS PE4 and I still don't have a weighted bar. If I had to pick one weighted bar to purchase for the HS progressions, what weight would you all recommend? Also, most of the bars on Amazon are 48" long. Is that long enough, or should I be looking for something longer?

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Joseph, you can begin with a wood bar with no weight, then for mastery, you can use ankles weight . for the future goal you can buy some plates so that you can add approximately the 10% of your BW.

Suzanna McGee

I use the white plastic pipe (with the end caps) and I filled it with sand… so here I have already 2.5 lbs… then I add two ankle weights (2.5 lbs each). You can put many ankle weights as needed, and easily adjust the weight needed. I like the ankle weights better than the iron weights, because they are smaller diameter. 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

I started with an inch thick wooden dowel rod and added 5lb (2.26kg) weight plates to it. I may end up buying an aluminium barbell similar to what is used in the course videos.

In regards to length. The dowel rod I am currently using is 48in (1.22m) long. Due to overall arm span, 60in (1.52m) long might be better for some.


As a side note: Poplar dowel rods are not as sturdy/rigid as Oak or other harder woods and start to "bow in" as weight increases above 20lb (9.07kg).

Douglas Wadle

1-1.5 inch diameter metal pipe 60" long from hardware store, weighs about 5# and costs about $10.  

Joseph Prado

Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I'll be making a trip to the hardware store this weekend. 

Jennifer Marie

I'm a little late to the party, but I use a PVC pipe. Plates or ankle weights, like others said, can add weight as needed. I find the lighter the better to get the hang of the movement/stretch, and then add weight to master.