This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

lower back soreness from windshield wipers / mid bridge SL work

Started by Jason Neff, November 20, 2017 · 12 Replies · 150 Views

Jason Neff

I'm currently working windshield wipers in F2 for the side lever progression, and on the front lever progression I'm on mid bridge single leg.  Since I've hit these two progressions, I've developed pretty severe lower back soreness that persists on a daily basis (i.e. fairly sore/painful to bend forward at lower back, not a shooting pain, just a heavy soreness)...it's gotten to the point where I can't really do the workout well and have some discomfort during the day.

I can't tell which move (or whether both) are causing this and why...although I'm suspicious it's the windshield wipers because they are the most uncomfortable with the soreness.  So I have two questions...1) is this likely a form issue or did I just push it too hard?  2) what is the best way to recover?  I've been to the chiropractor...no help.  I've done some ice/heat alternating...only for a couple of days but I don't feel much relief...and I tried just taking 3 days off or so but seems to come right back.

I'm not in excruciating or shooting pain, just want to get it right so I can work out effectively again.  And figure out if I'm doing something to cause the problem with those movements.  It's kind of hard for me to post a video of my form right now because I can't do the movements without some pain.

Luke Searra

Hello Jason,

There is no clear answer, although it is more than likely due to strength and mobility deficits, more so mobility. Feel free to send us a video so we can see your body move and try to ascertain where the specific deficit lies. If you are doing other activities like lifting weights etc. this will also play a role in your back pain, as might running or tight hip flexors and hamstrings.

Nick Murray

Jason, as well as the video (also include a side view, along the wall so we can see the shape of your back), could you try the windshield wiper in a tuck position: hang off the bar, bend knees as much as possible, bend hips as much as possible, and slowly try the windshield wiper motion. It won't be quite the same motion, but what you feel when doing this (compared with the "proper" form) might help us figure out what's happening.

Jason Neff

Thanks for the feedback...I'll try to get a couple of videos uploaded in the next couple of days.  I definitely have some tight hips and hamstrings, so that may be part of it.  I'll be back with videos soon.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Jason Neff,

I have the same experience during the past and what I did was dialed my way back to the earlier progressions to build up my body and to my surprise, when I reached those advanced progressions again, they were a lot easy and tolerable. :)

Jason Neff

Thanks Leo - how many moves did you go back when you did that?

Leo Trinidad

@Jason Neff I got stuck in 3 elements that time that's why I went back to the start and tested mastery of PE1 of everything.

Jason Neff

Okay - here are my videos.  Included two angles of windmill and then just threw in the frog stand + mobility as well.  First time I've done video in a while...seems like I lack some hip/hamstring mobility since my back is so far off the pad, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.  If it is mobility...can you suggest the best option to improve?  I own all the flexibility courses (although not currently doing them do to time constraints...45 min/workout is tough to add to workouts each week)...but I'm willing to supplement somewhat if that's what it takes.

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

I think that you gave yourself the answer, you are not following consistently the stretch course. In your case (bent kness and more compression needed) the front split it is the solution!

Leo Trinidad

I completely agree with Alex. One of the main reasons I had to go back before because back then the Stretch Courses was not available. 

You can work on your deficits in your mobility. :)

Jason Neff

Thanks to all.  One question...any recommendations on the best way to tackle this with stretch courses?  I have time capacity to do stretch 3x per week at most.  Should I concentrate on the front split routine 3x or vary between courses, given what I'm trying to fix here?

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jason, once a week as prescribed!

Suzanna McGee

@Jason Neff, if you have the capacity for 3 stretches per week, you could do each one of them once (as prescribed). The middle split will help your hamstrings as well, and the thoracic bridge will help your shoulders. Which all will help your windmills.