This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Any advantage to non full-fat greek yogurt?

Started by Rebecca Williams, November 19, 2017 · 4 Replies · 94 Views

Rebecca Williams

Hi,

I'm new to thrive, and have a question about greek yogurt.  I understand the point of full-fat yogurt as an advantageous source of fat, but is there any advantage to lower fat dairy as a source of protein, for example?  I eat a lot of greek yogurt, and while the full-fat Greek Gods yogurt is aptly named for the fact it is divine, I feel like if I switched all my greek yogurt to full-fat my calorie consumption would go through the roof. I've also noticed it has a lower protein amount than some other greek yogurts. So is the suggestion to use the full-fat version when looking at it from the perspective of getting a healthy fat, or should all dairy be full-fat all the time? 

Thanks!

Pauline Taube

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Thrive forum :)

When it comes to your breakfast, you want to include a source of healthy fat. Full fat greek yoghurt will be the best option in order to complete this task, unless you have included another source of fat in this meal. For you other meals, you may use yoghurt with lower fat as a protein source. In these cases, make sure that there is no sugar added. 

Whether you choose nonfat or full-fat yogurt may depend on how much protein and fat you get from other foods. If you need more protein, nonfat yogurt is the better option since it has higher amounts. Similarly, if you’re trying to lose weight or maintain weight, nonfat yogurt is a better choice because it will reduce your total consumption of calories. If your objective is to gain weight healthfully or add fat to your diet, try the full-fat variety instead.

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any further questions :) 

Oscar Riaño

You can still lose or maintain weight by consuming full fat greek yogurt. It is all about the timings. Furthermore, low fat diary usually has some extra additives in order to maintain the consistency of the product (aka Xanthan Gums, and so on...), plus it does not taste as good as full fat products. You may want to avoid full fat diary for dinner, but I rather buy full fat diary and consume it in the morning than taking any low fat diary products. 

Rebecca Williams

Thank you both for the feedback. I like the idea of approaching it in terms of adding fat and/or protein.  I just wanted to make sure that a lower fat option wasn't a bad thing, if I wasn't looking at as a fat source. You're right about the additives Oscar - thankfully, I'm usually able to find products without them. And you're definitely right about the taste :). I'm curious about the timing.  Why would it be bad to have in the evening? (if this is something I'll learn later in the course, feel free just to say that :)). Thanks. 

Oscar Riaño
On 11/21/2017 at 5:20 AM, Rebecca Williams said:

Thank you both for the feedback. I like the idea of approaching it in terms of adding fat and/or protein.  I just wanted to make sure that a lower fat option wasn't a bad thing, if I wasn't looking at as a fat source. You're right about the additives Oscar - thankfully, I'm usually able to find products without them. And you're definitely right about the taste :). I'm curious about the timing.  Why would it be bad to have in the evening? (if this is something I'll learn later in the course, feel free just to say that :)). Thanks. 

Hey Rebecca, basically because fat is a source of energy and you dont need energy in the night because you go to sleep :D But you will learn more about it later, yes.