This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand Form Check

Started by Jon Thornham, November 18, 2017 · 4 Replies · 110 Views

Jon Thornham

I was hoping to get a bit of feedback on my handstand.  I've been working on flattening my back and lining up my joints.  I think I need to open my shoulders more, which will help flatten my back more.  

 

Mikey Cunanan

Hey Jon,

Your handstand is looking nice so far. It looks like your line can be dramatically improved with a few adjustments.

In terms of opening your shoulder angle. This can be done by pressing strongly through your arms to shrug your shoulders closer to your ears. You will feel as though your arms are hugging your ears tightly.

From there, it’s a matter of maintaining a tight hollow shape while extending your toes to the sky.

Nice work so far. As always, please keep us updated with your improvements.

Jon Thornham
9 minutes ago, Mikey Cunanan said:

Hey Jon,

Your handstand is looking nice so far. It looks like your line can be dramatically improved with a few adjustments.

In terms of opening your shoulder angle. This can be done by pressing strongly through your arms to shrug your shoulders closer to your ears. You will feel as though your arms are hugging your ears tightly.

From there, it’s a matter of maintaining a tight hollow shape while extending your toes to the sky.

Nice work so far. As always, please keep us updated with your improvements.

Great advice.  Thank you for this pointer.  That makes a lot of sense.  

Jon Thornham
On 11/18/2017 at 1:11 PM, Mikey Cunanan said:

Hey Jon,

Your handstand is looking nice so far. It looks like your line can be dramatically improved with a few adjustments.

In terms of opening your shoulder angle. This can be done by pressing strongly through your arms to shrug your shoulders closer to your ears. You will feel as though your arms are hugging your ears tightly.

From there, it’s a matter of maintaining a tight hollow shape while extending your toes to the sky.

Nice work so far. As always, please keep us updated with your improvements.

I wanted to post an update and say thanks again.  I've been playing around with what you mentioned and it's one of the best pointers I've ever received when it comes to handstand form.  I'm not fully there but I feel I am heading in a much better direction.  

 

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 9.10.43 PM.png

Mikey Cunanan
17 hours ago, Jon Thornham said:

I wanted to post an update and say thanks again.  I've been playing around with what you mentioned and it's one of the best pointers I've ever received when it comes to handstand form.  I'm not fully there but I feel I am heading in a much better direction.  

 

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 9.10.43 PM.png

Hey Jon,

Very nice improvement! That’s a nice looking handstand line. Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing more of your progress down the road.