This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lower Back Seized Up

Started by Nigel Pengelly, November 17, 2017 · 2 Replies · 95 Views

Nigel Pengelly

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing GST for about 7 or 8 months and really enjoying it and feeling stronger in all areas of my life. Unfortunately this week i have found my lower back almost completely seized up. It didn't happen during any training session just felt it turning around in the car to pass my daughter something in the back seat. I have been using heat packs and resting. I saw my physio who thought it was related to weak gluts?

I'm really disappointed as I felt with all the foundation work that my back and core were strong and i could avoid this type of injury. 

Do you think it could be gluts? More of an out of balance injury (strong back, weak gluts?). It's day 5 and improving all the time, just wonder if there were suggestions on supplementary exercises that could be done?  

 

To guess you some idea, it hurst the most (is really stiff) when i stand after sitting for 15 mins or more. When standing, it doesn't hurt with Anterior Pelvic Tilt, but really does with Posterior PT. If i had to guess I think it may be the Straddle Donkey Kick or Straddle Modified Reverse Hyper that may have done it (rather than the obvious candidate of Jefferson Curls)?

 

Appreciate your thoughts.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Nigel , unfortunately, you did one of the most popular movements which can cause a lower back issue that is making a torque on the spine with flexed hips and flexed spine with a weight. I cannot say more about that but you need to know more.

There is the important fact that the body becomes stronger on what you learn. If you learn your spine with a rounded back probably you will be stronger with a rounded spine. the strength it is always specific....then....there is some range of movements that should be trained carefully. what you experimented it is one of these.

Nigel Pengelly

Thanks Alessandro.  How do I find out more about this particular movement and the common injury it causes? 

Also, are you saying that I need to teach my body to be stronger in this area/movement? Should I be adding additional courses to my routine? Cheers!