I'm currently struggling with trying to do a press on P-bars, mainly because I lack the shoulder strength. I can do a press on floor, but I think it's mainly because of my flexibility. What kinds of exercises can I do to increase my shoulder strength?
Shoulder Strength for Press
Started by phken4343, March 25, 2010 · 6 Replies · 2,637 Views
The press on floor is much easier than the press on PB since your hips start a lot higher.
You can do wall presses in HS against the wall, right?
Working in general upper body strength such as HeSPU and dips would be of value besides any planche work, pseudo planche pushups.
Another drill is HS on PB, lower down to L-sit. Spotted is helpful.
Another drill is to get two panel mats and do the press down from HS. The mats give you more clearance to get back to L.
The strength and ability to do hanging leg lifts in L and V(straddled) is a must.
A beginning drill is also one in the L4 PB routine as bonus. From a seated straddle on the PB, press to straddle L, around the side (like a "Young" in BtGB) to L-sit.
Like the press on rings to HS, from L-sit you can work pressing as high as you can with a hold at the top of the ROM and lowering back to L-sit.
That's a lot of suggestions there, Blairbob
. A couple of questions:
How many hanging leg lifts should I be able to do? Right now, I can only do like 4~6 leg lifts into V's (legs together) with perfect form until I need to start bending my legs.
I have tried the lvl 4 PB exercise drill, and I still do, but I always need to bend my legs to get it around the P-bars. Do I have to learn as much as possible to get my legs over?
On a separate note, can you tell me some information on hyperextended elbows in gymnastics?
As for the L4 press, I find I have to lean more than I would think due to a crappy straddle-L. Press the straddle-L as high as you can, then lift the legs around.
As for your elbows, just protect them as much as you can with bent arm pulling and pushing strength.
I'll need to think about the HLL strength but I doubt that is where it's lacking.
What's HLL?
HLL = Hanging Leg Lift
Go buy the book. It contains all the information you will need.
Ah. Yeah, I think I have decent HLL strength.