Planche Progression

Started by Scott Martin, January 24, 2008 · 10 Replies · 8,532 Views

Scott Martin

Hello all. I'm working on the planche progression. My question is, is it better/worse to use parallettes? I've been working without them, but I can't practice as much as I would like due to the strain on my wrists, so I was thinking parallettes might allow me to work on the strength component without straining my wrists as much.

kbryk

Neither, parallettes is a personal preference, I think they would be better to train on, they enable you to do more than floor, and personally I think they are more comfortable and easier to deal with.

wmmtf

Hi,

I'm new, and read the first article of this website before it was built. I've been working on the planche and am at the moment between the tuck and the advanced tuck. I'd like to ask, I can't seem to do the advanced planche with my shoes, which weigh at a total of 750g. Should I keep developing without my shoes? Also, how often should I train? I already do three night sessions of weight training lasting an hour and a half each, leaving Sunday afternoons my body conditioning session, is once a week enough?

Jason Ingram

Sure, take off your shoes. Coach Sommer recommends training these movements 4x per week on something like a M,T,Th,F schedule. Three times is good too. Make sure you balance your planche work with front lever work, or barbell rows (something that works the upper back and rear deltoids in a horizontal pull). Why not integrate planche work into your 3 nightly weight training sessions?

wmmtf

Thanks for the tip. I do the front lever too and it's further in progress than my planche. I can do the straddle now.

Jason Ingram

Yeah, I've found front levers to be easier too.

wmmtf

Well, I think it's supposed to be like that, while both require lots of core strength, front lever is very back muscle group intensive while using the pectoral to balance and lock you into position; and the planche utilizes shoulder control. The larger back muscle groups should be much stronger than the small shoulder muscle group. Correct me if I'm wrong with my perception.

Jason Ingram

Yeah, I'd agree with that, except I'd say that planches also require strength in the pectorals (but you're right, the lats are the largest muscle in the upper body). Also, I think plaches are much more difficult because your hands are below your center of mass so there is a lot more work to maintain balance. In a similar sense, hanging from a bar is a lot easier than maintaining a handstand.

hrcak

I have now big problem with tuck planche. Last week i could hold for good 30 sec but now i cannot do more then 2 sec :cry: :cry: . Maybe the problem is because i have doing the handstand from last week? :roll: :roll: I will try with longer rest 2+ day maybe that will help? Some help would be nice. Thanks

wmmtf

Careful with the shoulders, both exercises put enormous strain on the shoulder joints and it's one of the most sensitive and weakest in the body.

hrcak

I am careful do not worry about that :D

Legs are going down to quick, i think that problem is with my back.

Edit: i try now l-seat and can hold good 20 sec with little efort and arms and shoulder are just fine