This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bulgarian Dips

Started by Adam Blake, November 14, 2017 · 4 Replies · 112 Views

Adam Blake

Hello everybody,

                            I've been following the GB foundations program for about 15 months now and a couple of weeks ago, I began working on Bulgarian Dips and I'm hoping someone with an educated eye could let me know how I'm looking? 

These are still a struggle for me and I want to make sure I don't invest time in poor quality reps. I shot a quick video of my 3rd set from todays workout so I am slightly fatigued but these are a good idea of what I am currently doing.

Any coaching/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks tons in advance,

 

Adam

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Adam,

It looks pretty good. Overall, your form looks solid. As you do your dips it looks like your right shoulder is elevated more than your left. As you get tired, your body also tends to drift off to the left side. Both of these things suggest that you have a small imbalance in your strength. Always work according to your weaker side. Nice job so far!

Alessandro Mainente

hey Adam, Jeffrey has a good eye seeing your imbalances. I can give you some more corrections:

-notice that the bulgarian dips it is particular type fo dip. the vast majority of athletes focus on dipping (extending the elbow) rather than "holding the 90° of elbow flexion and pull them to the hips, then extend the elbows". the concept is a bit different because the first one it is triceps and shoulders dominant while the second it is the chest and shoulder dominant.

-second tip: make a video from the side. in the bulgarian dips you should try to hold shoulder and forearms in line during all the movement.

Adam Blake

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate your advice here.

Alessandro, I think I understand what you are saying. Essentially, I should seek to initiate the movement with the shoulder first and then bring the triceps in to lockout once the arms are already fairly tight to my body?

Thanks again fellas :)

 

Alessandro Mainente

Absolutely!