This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scheuermann's disease / neck over firing

Started by davidg333, November 14, 2017 · 2 Replies · 53 Views

davidg333

Hey guys.

I've just started fundamentals. I did competitive gymnastics as a kid at state level, and was best at rings, horizontal, parallel bars - anything strength and not flexibility :) I'm 34 now though, and years of inactivity due to desk work and not enough movement means my form / strength / mobility is really poor. Looking forward to fixing that!

I have a few question about the exercises, foundations and H1 related to a health condition I have please.

1. I have scheurmann's disease and scoliosis, so I naturally have rounded shoulders and an extended thoracic kyphosis and compensatory lower back lordosis and head forward position. I'm on day two, and I'll never be able to get my arms to the floor in the supine position (wall slides impossible as well). This isn't a bad posture issue, scheuermann's causes disc degeneration which causes the hunchback type shape, so the best I can do is strengthen and mobilise thoracic area as much as possible but won't ever have normal ROM. Is this going to be an issue going forwards? Any exercises I need to be careful of?

2. Particularly for handstand work, I can't get my arms straight over my head, and have to be careful with pressing work because of potential rotator cuff issues - should I even bother with H1?

3. Because of head forward position, I also really struggle with not over firing my neck when exercising, causing cramping / trigger points in my traps and muscles running up into the back of my head. I have chronically tight neck muscles. Sticking my tongue out and breathing through my nose helps, but do you have any other recommendations for avoiding this happening during exertion? For instance, in the crab if I I tuck my chin right into my chest then I don't fire my neck, but if I try to hold my head in the position the models are using, I end up with neck muscles overworking and cramping. I think it occurs as well when I am weak in whatever supporting muscles I need to do a particular exercise, then my neck takes over and does too much work. Any ideas for not having this happen?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!
David

Everett Carroll

Hey David,

Interesting questions.

I suggest running these concerns by your doctor to ensure that handstand training is safe for you. However, I think that even if handstands and Scheurman's Disease don't mix well, that the wrist exercises and shoulder mobility drills will still be highly beneficial for you. The course is surely still worth it and we can work with you more easily in that subforum once we have your doctors suggestions.

The best way for us to try and help with your crab walk and neck cramps is to review your form. If you could post a video, that would be very helpful. However, I also suggest running this by a physio to see if they have any suggestions. In-person assessments are definitely best here. 

David Gardner 1

Cheers Everett