This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Standing Single Pike

Started by Michael Vetter, November 13, 2017 · 8 Replies · 252 Views

Michael Vetter

Hello people,

A question about Standing Single Pike:

I am not sure I'm doing it right. It feels like I have too much weight on my arms. But if I don't do this (and want to have the foot as close to the wall as possible) I fall over.

If I have the foot some 5 or 10 centimeters away from the wall I feel much more in the leg and less in the arms.

The picture shows how I do it currently: foot as close to the wall as possible, but having a lot of weight on the arms instead of the leg.

showgst.jpg

Everett Carroll

Hey Michael,

Nice position here! You don't want to move your leg further from the wall. You can move your hands a bit further from the wall as well as straighten your elbows a bit more to help you with the balance aspect. Be sure to keep pressing back into the wall. 

Michael Vetter

Hi Everett,

Here I try to do what you said:

IMG_20171115_210841.thumb.jpg.fc2064b0f9f50a586a0c32e49f7e06f5.jpgIMG_20171115_210845.thumb.jpg.a59bcbf9f91719e8baa002edc05613eb.jpg

and here is again like I used to do:

IMG_20171115_210859.thumb.jpg.080afcfb15874873e16fbd3a938a71da.jpg

 

It feels like a totally different kind of stretch actually. It the latter (my original version) I feel more intense in leg that I am standing out.

Can you explain to me what the goal of the stretch is and what I should actually be looking for?

 

cheers,

Michael

Tanya Hill

Hi Michael, 

Your second picture, the way Everett discribed, put your back in a lengthened position which stretches deeper into the lower back, glutes and hamstrings vs. having a curve in the spine. :)

Jennifer Marie

I'm glad you asked that question -- and thanks, Tanya, for the answer. I'm so focused on not falling forward or wobbling side to side, I haven't really noticed a significant stretch yet. I'll "look" for those spots next time I do this program.

Michael Vetter

Sorry to bring this up again guys.

I am actually still not sure what to look for in this position. Where to pull/push, whats the goal etc :S

I can say what I feel most is that its a bit exhausting for the shoulders/arms who push me. But I dont feel anything in my leg. Except a bit in the hip.

Everett Carroll

Hey Michael,

On 11/16/2017 at 10:22 AM, Michael Vetter said:

Here I try to do what you said:

IMG_20171115_210841.thumb.jpg.fc2064b0f9f50a586a0c32e49f7e06f5.jpgIMG_20171115_210845.thumb.jpg.a59bcbf9f91719e8baa002edc05613eb.jpg

From here, start closing the gap between your torso and leg by walking your hands closer to the wall. The goal is to get your torso lay flat against your leg. 

Michael Vetter

After the workout yesterday I took a short clip of what it looks like now: https://youtu.be/X_E-wNzR-ZY

Is it ok?

Everett Carroll

Nice work. Your goal now is to begin closing the gap between your straight leg and torso. Keep on cranking, Michael!