This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS1 PE7

Started by Jin Liu, November 12, 2017 · 11 Replies · 209 Views

Jin Liu

Last time I did a belly-to-wall HS was way before starting GB, so over a year ago. It was sooo bad. Basically I looked like a really bad shaped S from the side, struggling to keep balance, had no idea how to engage or what muscles to engage, couldn’t breathe normally, got back up with an extremely red face and neck, and a near exploding head. I said to myself that was stupid, and don’t even try it again unless I know what I’m doing. 

I’ve been very patient with my HS progress cuz I know it needs a lot of work. I’m still at PE5, but I tried the PE7 today. It looked and felt good to me!! Almost a minute hold and there’s still gas in the tank. I’m sure there’s still a lot of tweaks to do, and I’m still far from the freestanding HS. But this is a pretty big milestone for me. Not to mention I haven’t worked on any wall HS at all so far. This is only from working on body alignment & shoulder mobility from the previous PE’s!

Please let me know what I need to improve from the video below. Since I’m still at previous PE’s, I can correct the bad habits early :) 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Awesome job, Jin!

It's exciting to hear that you're making such great progress. You're form looks solid. As you hold your handstand, make sure that you are pushing as tall as you can with the shoulders. Try to pinch your ears between your shoulders. Keep up the good work!

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Jin, as stated Jeff, if you cannot feel the shoulders to your ear then your hands are too wide.

Jin Liu

How does this look?

I’m hooked on this now, and I want to skip the boring PE5 & PE6 :P. You didn’t hear that...

 

Alessandro Mainente

A bit of pike in the hips and you need to move the armpit closer to the wall.

Leo Trinidad

Hi Jin,

I also want to add that you try and put your gaze down because when you do freestanding handstand then your vision should be at the floor.

Jin Liu

Thank you coaches!! :) will make the corrections next time when I practice it. 

Jennifer Marie

You go girl! I admit I do this too. I'm on PE2, and loving it, but I still do wall runs because I learned them in a CrossFit handstand clinic. They've gotten a ton better because of the HS and Foundations progressions.

Your wall handstand looks great. It can take people a while to get comfortable that close to the wall.

Jin Liu

Finally officially on this PE now. I guess I'm still having some pike. I forgot, are the chest and thighs supposed be touching the wall or no? Are the hands at ok distance from the wall? How's the iM? My grip width is just outside of my shoulders, and I'm using 5lbs.

Last question, since today is my first day officially on this PE. My page shows I only needed to hold 3 sets of 6 sec. I went ahead and held the max time I can in each set, which is around 45-50 sec. Is it beneficial to keep doing this until I move onto the next PE, or is it an overkill AND not beneficial? I guess it's a more general question for some of the PE's I find easy.

 

Luke Searra

Jin ,

Your wrists should be within 6-12" of the wall, no need to have your body touching the wall.

PE: Great handstand positioning, the only tweaks I would offer are to get your heels and ankles together in the top of the handstand, and to bring your hands a little closer together.

iM: I would like to see you try to emphasize PPT, and chest slightly down (just like your vertical handstand position), even in this horizontal position because the iM is based on handstand mechanics and strength-mobility carryover for the handstand.

Jin Liu

Hiiii! Are my hands close enough (to each other) in this video? What I care more about is that whether my hands need to be closer in the wall run. The wall run is gonna be a big challenge for me. Last time I tried it, I couldn't lift up a finger...

The PPT in the iM ok? I thought it looked better than the last video. But if not, I should probably lower the weight (now 7.5 lbs)?

Thank you!

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Jin,

Your hand position looks good. Keep working on pushing taller through the shoulders. On your iM you are headed in the right direction. At about 17 seconds you hit a solid PPT. Aim to hit that position throughout your set. Great job!