This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training Plateaus Anybody?

Started by Blake Storey, November 8, 2017 · 8 Replies · 198 Views

Blake Storey

Hi all,

 

I am have been training with GB for about a year and continue to advance in various elements, but have hit plateaus in numerous others, namely sPL/SE 3, SL/PE 10 and RC/PE 2.  I used to rock climb a lot more before beginning GST and don't know if that has something to do with why I have plateaued and in the case of the RC, regressed (because I have stopped climbing over the last year).  If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it past plateaus please let me know.  I currently train all Foundations elements 2x/wk during the weekdays (T and TH) with double sets on the RC and extra hypertrophy bicep curls after.  I do handstand and/or movement plus stretching on the one day in between (M and W) with a metabolic workout over the weekends and bridge work on Fridays.   I feel recovered and have no issues sleeping/eating.  I have mastery of the elements preceding these elements, just hit a roadblock when I get to them.  

Thanks,

Blake

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Blake are you deloading every 3 weeks of work?

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Blake,

Look at this thread.  There could be some answers for you there.

 

Blake Storey

Yes, Allesandro, I've been doing the deload every 3 weeks.  Thanks for the link, Etienne.  I read it over.  I do not climb anymore.  I don't run either, but do about 15-20 miles of walking a week.  I am 28yo, 5'11'' and 170 lbs, and follow a pretty strict keto diet for health reasons.  I use infrared sauna after each training session and massage as well to increase recovery and have just started taking creatine.  I take magnesium too.  I definitely drink plenty of water.  Did I mention I have type 1 diabetes?  My HRVs are a little low, though, even after rest days.  Low 70s and mid 60s usually.  This might mean I'm overtraining, yea?  I currently have a lot of stress from my new small business.   Mechanically, I'm wondering if the large part of my issue is my scapular stability having decreased since quitting rock climbing, but I don't know.  I'll post some video next week so I can get my forms checked.  It has taken me a while to increase my abdominal strength but it is increasing.  I know that I was and probably am still very hip flexor and low back dominant as well as lat dominant as opposed to biceps.  These are just a few of my observations.  If anyone has additional suggestions I would appreciate them.  I am wondering if I should go back down a few levels on the sPL and really assess mastery.  Same with the SL.  There is no further down to go with the RC.  Can I go up instead?  I can do plenty of pullups and chinups.  Would it be good to mix it up with a different exercise?

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Blake, i'm going to ask you to post the results of your last 2 weeks for the exercise where you have reached plateau.

Blake Storey

Ok, lets see:

RC/PE 3- I am stuck at step 4, 4x6

sPL/SE 3- I am stuck at step 7, 4x24s, there is a significant difficulty increase from SE 4 on this one

Alessandro Mainente

With RC you are referring to SE3?

on SPL I suggest you drop to an intermediate stage of 4x21 seconds first.

Blake Storey

Alessandro, it says RC/PE 2 on my computer. That is ground rows 4x6r.  There is no 4x21s for the sPL.  Should I do the 4x18s instead?  Also, what do you think about adding in some additional weight lifting workouts like overhead press and power lifts to increase my mid trap strength?

Everett Carroll

Hey Blake,

Alex is suggesting you use 4x21s as an in-between step. Even though it's not listed, it can help make the transition to 4x24s easier. 

3 hours ago, Blake Storey said:

Also, what do you think about adding in some additional weight lifting workouts like overhead press and power lifts to increase my mid trap strength?

Keep going with your Foundation progressions. For some additional work on your back and traps, start the Handstand One and Handstand Two Courses.