This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson curl sub

Started by James Kesten, November 6, 2017 · 1 Replies · 95 Views

James Kesten

I'm wondering if there is something I can sub for jCurl in PE2. Perhaps just work on my pike? It's not to a point where I'm past my toes anyway, but that wasn't a prerequisite to entering MNPE2.

I reached PE2 a few weeks back and though I've read countless forum posts about "don't worry if you do it right it is safe" I'm not sure it's for me.  There seems to be just as much information out there that refutes the idea that this doesn't do damage to your back. Maybe if I hadn't herniated L5-S1 disk years ago, or maybe if there was a coach watching/correcting my every micromovement on every rep. However I've done them for 4 weeks in a row with +0 weight (just a broomstick) and for the following 3-7 days I end up with my low back in the bad kind of disk on nerve pain and feeling vulnerable to throwing it out. 

Am I basically unable to progress in this program if I choose to not do this exercise? Any advice is welcome.

Everett Carroll

Hey James,

Sorry to hear it. In your case, especially because of your prior herniations, I suggest consulting a medical professional about the pain. Refrain from any movements that you think might be causing irritation, pain, discomfort, etc. Based on your doctor's recommendations, we can help you work around any specific limitations so you continue to progress.

For now,  you can consider browsing through the other MN/iMs and train one that you feel comfortable with, as long as you remain pain-free during and after the session. If you have any doubts, then hold off on uncomfortable positions, especially those involving compression and forward folding, until you can get a medical professional's opinion. We will help you progress as best we can but first, your back pain must be looked at by a doctor.