This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE2 Form Check

Started by Andrew Black, November 6, 2017 · 4 Replies · 153 Views

Andrew Black

Hi,

In the attached picture you can see that I have fairly good alignment of the legs and torso, but the neck looks like it's quite far forward and not lined up with the rest of the body. Is this something I should be concerned about and working to correct? And if so how? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

59ffd7bb5746c_Headstand2.PNG.1b1058e8c1e0f28afb1523faf7ca29bd.PNG

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Andrew,

It looks like you're off to a good start. I suggest trying to balance a bit more towards the top of your head. Keep in mind that this will be a very small adjustment. As you do so, you might need to scoot your hands in closer to your face, but remember to keep them directly underneath your elbows. It also looks like your elbows might be flaring out to the side which will effect your balance. Can you also upload a front view?

You can see in your picture that you have a small amount of arch in your spine. Engage your core muscles to help pull your spine into alignment. As you do so, keep your glutes engaged to avoid piking the hips.

If you upload a video we will be able to give you even more specific feedback.

Andrew Black

Thanks for the feedback, Jeffrey!

Good catch with the elbows flaring out! It was really obvious when I started paying attention to it. You can see me attempting to correct this in the "Front" video. Do you think I should have my hands wider to start with, or is just a matter of keeping pulling my elbows in?

You can see in the side view video that I am now also attempting to engage the core muscles and glutes. I'm successful for about a second or two then everything breaks again. But with everything more engaged the headstand felt much more stable and more comfortable. I've also left in my last set of the HSPE2 mobility as reference so you can see the current state of my shoulder, thoracic, and neck mobility. 

Any additional thoughts that come to mind from seeing these videos would be a big help, as I would like to get the positioning correct before trying to build volume.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Adrew, the PE looks good. on the other side, the IM must be revisited. I can notice a bit of confusion with the IM.

Remember that the primary goal it is the range of motion.

Begin with NO weights on the bar, begin with the necessary width so that you can lift the bar up to 90" for a few seconds. then work up to 10'' of the hold. when you can do that reduce the hand's distance until you reach little by little the shoulder width. now it is the time to add a kg, begin again searching for the width where you can show a 90° of shoulder extension.

Andrew Black

Thanks Alessandro!

Upon further review of the demo video it looks like the palms are supposed to facing forward (in the video my palms are starting facing backwards).

With the correct starting grip and my hands much further apart on the dowl I can get to 90 degrees. So I will work on holding that for 3 x 10 sec. And then gradually decreasing the width of my grip.

Re PE2 thanks for the feed back! I will work on solidifying my position and building volume!