This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

how to progress towards elevated bridge

Started by Jan Willem Tulp, November 5, 2017 · 3 Replies · 168 Views

Jan Willem Tulp

Hi all,

I'm really enjoying the Foundation One series, but for the final few exercises of the Stretch - Thoracic Bridge routine, I am unable to go into the elevated bridge for the hold, the pushups and the taps. I can do a normal bridge, but not for 60 seconds, and I feel like I miss the strength to push me up, or walk up to the elevated bridge position. But the reason it's elevated is to focus on the chest stretch, right? So, I'm more or less unable to do the final few exercises.

 

I would like to know, what is a good progression towards the elevated bridge? And are there some easier alternatives to make sure I get the chest stretches done? And finally, I'm doing the Stretch - Thoracic Bridge routine once a week, but is there a recommendation to do a certain exercise more than once a week, just to move a bit quicker towards the elevated bridge (as a way of working on your weaknesses?)

 

Thanks for your response!

 

Jan Willem Tulp

Tanya Hill

Hi Jan, 

Thank you for reaching out. 

The last few drills in the Thoracic Bridge course definitely take some time. You did mention you are able to do a 'normal bridge' with feet on the floor. I would try going into the bridge and gradually walk your feet up to elevated bridge. The focus of the elevated bridge is to take the pressure out of the low back and isolate opening the shoulders. 

Keep working at the elevated cat and invereted cat. You can bring these two stretches back at the end of your Bridge training and finish here. Through out the week you can also make these two stretches apart of your warm up. This would be a huge help and keep you opened up. 

Send us a video of your current progress so we can assist you further. 

Jan Willem Tulp

Thanks, i will try that!!

Luke Searra

Jan, also remember to please to keep the emphasis in all of your thoracic bridge series stretch work ... in your thoracic spine. We will look forward to getting your videos to help get where you need to go.