This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form check: Elevated Thoracic Bridge

Started by George Chung, October 31, 2017 · 8 Replies · 163 Views

George Chung

Yes, I know my shoulder flexibility is not where it should be...

 

Pauline Taube

Hi George,

Thanks for your submission. 

You are showing off quite a lot of strength being able to push into the bridge from that position. Well done! In order to isolate the thoracic and get a greater stretch in your shoulders I would recommend to scale this exercise some more. Ideally you want to get into a position where your shoulders  and upper back is in line with your wrist. Your current level of flexibility will not let you go into that position with your feet on that bench. I would recommend to try this exercise in a handstand with your back facing the wall, try to press your chest out while in this position. I'd also add some daily work on the elevated and inverted cat stretch. 

Looking forward to follow your bridge progress :) 

George Chung
On 10/31/2017 at 1:32 PM, Pauline Taube said:

Hi George,

Thanks for your submission. 

You are showing off quite a lot of strength being able to push into the bridge from that position. Well done! In order to isolate the thoracic and get a greater stretch in your shoulders I would recommend to scale this exercise some more. Ideally you want to get into a position where your shoulders  and upper back is in line with your wrist. Your current level of flexibility will not let you go into that position with your feet on that bench. I would recommend to try this exercise in a handstand with your back facing the wall, try to press your chest out while in this position. I'd also add some daily work on the elevated and inverted cat stretch. 

Looking forward to follow your bridge progress :) 

Hi Pauline, here are my elevated and inverted cat stretches. Do they look ok?

 

Pauline Taube

Hi George,

In order to give you more accurate feedback would you mind posting another video including your whole body on the elevated cat. It looks alright though. Make sure to press your chest towards the floor.

For the inverted cat I would suggest the following:

- use just one dumbbell rather than two OR use a barbell. This way the weight distribution will get better.

- place the foam roller on top of a bench/box in order to get proper elevation.

Feel free to submit another video, please include your whole body in the footage. 

Keep working hard :) 

George Chung

Here's the handstand progression you suggested. Even in a handstand, looks like I still do not have enough shoulder flexion. I will continue to work on shoulder mobility.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey George you need to pass the vast majority of the time on the cat position and reverse cat position.

George Chung
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey George you need to pass the vast majority of the time on the cat position and reverse cat position.

OK, thank you. I am also going to go back through the HS1 and make sure I master all the mobility drills.

George Chung

I've been really emphasizing elevated and inverted cats at every workout (and other shoulder mobility drills). Here's my new headstand progression for the elevated bridge. It doesn't seem like progress, but my head is more pushed through the arm window compared to the earlier attempt. Shoulders are feeling good/better with focused mobility training. I also notice that one arm hang with my left arm is much stronger/easier after focused mobility training on the shoulder.

 

Pauline Taube

Thanks for you update, George.

Remember that restoring mobility does take time. Slow and steady progress is the way. Keep being consistent with your training and you will get some great mobility gains :D

Looking forward seeing your updates :)