This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can tuna - eat the oil or not?

Started by Lukas Funiok, October 31, 2017 · 7 Replies · 72 Views

Lukas Funiok

Hey guys,

I've got a question regarding can tuna. What should I do with all the olive oil around it? Should I eat just the meat and ditch the oil or eat both?

Thank you

Pauline Taube

Hi Lukas,

at this point in the Thrive course you should not focus on taking away anything from your diet. Simply add a protein source to your lunch :) 

Lukas Funiok

Hi Pauline,

Sorry but that did not answer my question. I've never eaten can fish before, so I just want to know what is the proper way to eat it, regardless of the current task. I ask it here, because in this lesson Jeff was talking about can fish and I am not sure whether the oil is good for me or not.

Pauline Taube

Ah sorry I misunderstood your question, Lukas. This is a matter og preferance. Personally I’d drained the fish as I don’t like my food very oily. But I know some people loving the extra oil. Of course the amount of calories in your meal will be higher if you add all the excess oil as well :) extra virgin olive oil is a good source of fat, feel free to keep it! 

Lukas Funiok

Thank you Pauline! Just to be clear, If the oil is not extra virgin, should I avoid it? Or is the extra virgin label just a "nice to have" thing?

Pauline Taube

If it was up to me personally I’d stay away from other refined oils. I am curious on @Jeff Servenview on this :) 

Jared Birbeck

I like to use the oils from canned tuna as a bit of a salad dressing. works really well.

But I have switched to tuna in springwater and drain the water and then add EVOO, the Tuna in brine is too salty and the tuna in "Olive oil" we have here seems to be an olive oil blend so olive oil and vegetable oil (mostly palm oil).

Pauline Taube

I do the same, Jared. I trust the quality of other brands to be better :)