This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Single arm plank
Started by Jennifer Marie, October 31, 2017 · 9 Replies · 230 Views
In this one I really feel my obliques working and balancing the body so the hips wouldn't twist…
Hey Jennifer,
Can you also upload a photo from the front? Improving core strength as well as including scap shrugs in your warm up will definitely help you strengthen the right muscles for this progression. You may also need to spend some more time on double arm plank.
Hey Jennifer:
I was having the same issues as you on this progression. I decided to regress and take a step backwards and realllly focus on protracting my shoulders... to the point of realising I hadn't earned mastery on the double arm plank. I'm still working on double arm plank mastery, but once achieved, know the single arm plank will be much easier to master.
19 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:as well as including scap shrugs in your warm up will definitely help you strengthen the right muscles for this progression
Hi Jennifer
I have just moved onto single arm planks a couple of weeks ago and am progressing quite quickly even after being out with injury (not rushing just good progress) I'm pretty sure this is down to scap shrugs. Since reaching mastery I continued with them twice a week getting up to 5 x 25, I also think this helped with my straight arm planks because I managed 7 x 60s before moving on to this progression.
As you can probably tell, I love scap shrugs!
So apparently I'm not following my own thread. Go figure. I found it again anyway.
Here are some front shots. On a better day - they felt a little more balanced, but this seems to come and go with the days of the week.
Ive noticed this with side arches in the core progression too - a big difference between good and bad days.
Hi @Jeffrey Bittner, could you share any advice on the latest photos above? Thanks!
Hey Jennifer,
It looks like you are doing a pretty good job of keeping the shoulders level. In your second photo your shoulders are slightly off balance, but overall it looks pretty good. Keep working on increasing protraction on both sides as you do this exercise.
Thanks Jeffrey! I lose protraction pretty quickly it seems. I assume I should I stay at a lower step until I can hold this for all the sets at this step (12 seconds)?
Nice work Jennifer. If you cannot hold the position for 12sec on all sets, rate your workout as too hard with the smileys and you will be moved back one step for your next workout
please keep us updated on your progress!