This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL PE5

Started by Ben Freeman, October 30, 2017 · 9 Replies · 123 Views

Ben Freeman

Would appreciate feedback on my Planche leans. Been doing 5x30s for some while. Are these good enough to move on?

 

Alessandro Mainente

HEY Ben you need to apply corrections in order to maximize technique:

-hold the shoulders on depression ( i mean shoulder far from the ears, do not confuse it con retraction)

-lock out your knees all the time

-do not feel the weight on the instep, if this happens you are taking off work from the shoulders.

-do not reduce the amount of lean

Ben Freeman

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for the feedback. I find if I want to fully straighten the legs I come off my toes onto my instep, is this normal?

Another Q, I've been doing these for a while and whilst they feel easier, the amount of lean hasn't really changed at all. How much lean do I need?

A very humbling exercise,  looks trivial, but is so hard!

Thanks,

Ben

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Ben, the weight must be in the instep!!! not on the toes.

THe common mistake here it is trying to increase the amount of lean during the 30'' hold. 

The correct process it is to hold the basic starting template of 3x6'' until a solid lean it is acquired, THEN move on to the programming.

Ben Freeman

OK, with some corrections....

 

 

Tanya Hill

Hi Ben, 

Thank you for your video. Your first video had a better shape. 

- You do want to have a rounded back, shoulders protracted. When Alex said "shoulders depressed down" this means pull them down away from your ears but still keep the back rounded. 

- The shoulders do four things, elevation, depression, protraction and retraction. Maybe Alex can get you one of his amazing drawings to make this clear. 

 

Ben Freeman

I've even more confused!

I thought kyphosis wasn't optimal for a Planche and a flatter back was stronger.

Putting aside the kyphosis bit, how do you tell if the lean angle is good enough to progress?

 

Suzanna McGee

Ben, I would spend much more time here with the lean… (I have been working on this for long, too, btw). Because you will be thankful for that later. You can find many posts on the forums when people hit the iM of Frog Stand, they often have to go back to the basics here and refine it… your hips are sagging a little too, focus on a strong PPT. 

Everett Carroll
23 hours ago, Ben Freeman said:

how do you tell if the lean angle is good enough to progress?

Hey Ben. Wrists below the hips is the requirement for mastery.

All of the other major points have been said, but just to summarize:

-Spread those shoulder blades apart more (protract strongly)

-Maintain PPT (squeeze your core and glutes)

-Keep your knees and elbows straight

-Point your toes as much as possible. 

Ben Freeman

Thanks, much clearer!