Hi all,
Am inquiring about effective exercises or progressions that can help alleviate tension in the piriformis/lateral glutes. It’s affecting my ability to deep squat. I’m already aware that my ankle dorsiflexion requires attention, but the way forward there is quite evident. The lateral glutes however have me a bit lost: swivel hips? inside squats? kneeling fire hydrants? Standing leg lift/circles (aka adaggios or leg raises)? FRC approach? PNF?
Any insights and advice is appreciated. I’m thinking that internal rotation may be the way forward as seated swivel hips seemed to ease the tension when performed today. But will have to revisit it on my next lower body workout next week.
My end goal is a Pistol Squat but I want to improve normal range/function for deep squats before getting fancy or working strength with things like shrimp squats and so on, but am hacking away at problem areas first (first: lateral glutes, later: ankle dorsiflexion much later: adductors (cossacks) and weighted pistols/cossacks)
K bye.