This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE2 + iM

Started by Petra Kmecová, October 27, 2017 · 15 Replies · 194 Views

Petra Kmecová

Hello again, 

how are those looking?

Thanks in advance

Jennifer Marie

I'm no coach, so take me with a grain of salt. I like that you can hold your position at the top of the straddle up. I'm on this step too, so I know that's not easy! One trick I've tried (and hopefully a coach can confirm it's correct) is to think of compressing my belly as I come up, (like one would do for an L-Sit). It helps me hold the hollow position a little better at the top of the movement.

 

Petra Kmecová

Thanks @Jennifer Marie. Makes sense. I’ll try thinking about it during my next session.

Guido Franchetti

Hi Petra,

I am no expert and I may be wrong on this, but is it possible that in the straddle up you start the movement without properly engaging the core? It seems to me that you start getting up and lifting the legs your lower back is still arched. While it is fine if not recommended to relax the core and arch in between one rep and the next one, I believe that the moment you start the rep your core should be strongly engaged with the lower back totally flat on the ground.

Given your other post about slight lower back pain it might be that you are doing these incorrectly, but better wait to see what one of the coaches says about it!

Petra Kmecová

@Guido Franchetti.. hmmm, whoa thanks ... never realized that, but I can see what you mean!

Petra Kmecová

So, after reading @Guido Franchetti ´s hint this morning, I couldn’t wait till the next core session and had to give those a go... just a couple of reps after my daily lower body stretches. 

 

Would you consider this improvement of technique? ... to be honest, they sure did feel much better in my lower back. 

 

Thanks

 

Guido Franchetti

Hi Petra,

Those definitely look better, however I am not sure whether you should continue or regress to PE1. From what I can see you lift legs and arms just a tiny bit, then ensure that the back is flat on the ground and complete the rep. However, I am not sure that your core is already engaged and back flat in that tiny bit of lift. If not, it should be: the back should be flat on the ground and the core (and glutei probably) engaged as the first thing in the rep, before any lifting of the limbs.

Congratulations for the improvement anyway, you're headed in the right direction!

Maybe I am being too conservative in suggesting you to regress and you can fix this while staying at this PE - hopefully a coach will chime in.

Petra Kmecová

Thanks, we’ll see what coaches will suggest. 

I’m doing core session later today. Will definitelly at least scale it to 5*3r and film my PE1 mastery set I do before PE2.

Petra Kmecová

Hi once again,

As I mentioned in the post above, I made a video of my PE1 - 15r - warm up and fifth set of PE2 of todays session.

I did PE1 the way I did it before, without overthinking it with the bugs I have in my head from Guido ... :-).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Jeffrey Bittner

Nice work, Petra. As you lift, avoid arching the spine. Try to keep your back completely straight. Also work on straightening the legs. Awesome job!

Petra Kmecová

Thanks @Jeffrey Bittner. 

I have some questions, if I may ...

Do you mean arching the spine on top of the rep?

also ... 

As for now, I cannot lay on the floor with arms up, legs on the floor and lower back flat on the ground ... there’s arch in my spine. If you notice in my first video, I started the lift with that arch ... then I corrected my technique and lifted arms and legs a bit, engaging the core and thus putting lower back on the ground ... after that straddle legs and lift upper body ...

Is this technique better? 

Am I supposed to get first to a position similar to hollow body hold, where the lower back is pushing strongly to the ground? Or should this contact of lower back to the ground be more like in HS/PE4?

I hope you understand my question ... :-)

thx in advance

ps: please, can tou formcheck my jefferson curl - first post of this topic .. I haven’t got any feedback on this one yet.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Petra,

That is correct, you are picking up a small amount of arch towards the top of the rep. The rest of the set looks good. Your starting position looks much better. Nice work!

You're off to a great start on your Jefferson Curl as well. As you come out of the pike position, work on curling your lumbar and lower thoracic spine more on the way up. You're doing a great job. Keep it up!

Petra Kmecová

Thank you @Jeffrey Bittner, I’ll work on those and post formcheck after couple of sessions!

Petra Kmecová

Hi everybody, I’m back after couple of sessions for a formcheck.

I regressed to 5*3r to get the form right and I’m thinking about progressing to 6r in a set. Today I did my sets as follows: 3r, 6r, 6r, 6r, 3r + brief hold in a top position of last rep.

Here are videos of 4th set and 5th set and iM as well.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot :-)

Petra Kmecová

Any tips before my next session ... tomorrow? Thanks ;-)

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Petra Kmecová,

I think your straddle ups are awesome. For the jefferson curls, try to avoid pressing your hips backwards as you roll down. Keep your feet and calves engaged.