front lever elbows?

Started by taedoju, March 22, 2010 · 6 Replies · 2,910 Views

taedoju

Should elbows be completly straight during front lever and progressions? if they are i cannot even hold basic tucked position ...but i tend to bend them a little at elbow joint and then i can do them without problems...

Gregor

Straight!

Charles Weill
Gregor said:
Straight!

Yes.

It's probably because your triceps are not strong enough. I'd recommend laying off the front lever for a bit and work on a solid L sit with straight arms, maybe even some beginner manna work to get the necessary strength. I recommend these exercises because I too had the same problem for the first three months of my GB program. After taking a two month break from levers, and performing the execises, I was able to finally hold a tuck FL with straight arms. I could tell I was finally doing it right, because the sensation of having straight arms was different but good. :D Front levers are truly a difficult FSP in my oppinion.

Hope that helps!

Coach Sommer
... I'd recommend laying off the front lever for a bit and work on a solid L sit with straight arms ...

Excellent advice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob
if they are i cannot even hold basic tucked position ...but i tend to bend them a little at elbow joint and then i can do them without problems...

Well, instead of worrying about the tuck at horizontal, I would start from inverted and lower down as much as you can, stopping right before you cannot hold any more horizontal.

How bent are we talking about? Slightly bent or bent as in 90 degrees?

You could also do body levers instead.

Amebix138

When I started training the FL i couldnt hold myself horizontal with straight arms, so what I did was 9 sets of pulling to inverted with bent arms and then lowering slowly with arms as straight as I could get them. Within a month I was able to hold it with straight arms horizontal for a decent amount of time.

taedoju

very little bend at elbows,but not straight...okay i will work more on l sit , and i assume that supports on rings will do amazing job with my triceps;)