Bar muscleup form check

Started by Johan Hägg, October 24, 2017 · 14 Replies · 2,876 Views

Johan Hägg

 

im interested in hearing feedback on those muscleups. If the piking I do is not acceptable, I really would like an insight in a/why there's piking going on, like the mechanics of the movement and b/ if there's strengthissues that results in the piking, where's the weak link.

i would be honored to hear your thoughts!

Luke Searra

More than piking @Johan Hägg, I would focus on correcting the SAS portions of your muscle up. It is very controlled and strong (without thinking about the pike), except that you do not start or finish the movement with completely locked elbows. Only in the case of an injury or mobility deficit would I accept the bent arm start and finish to a strict muscle up (they actually physically CANNOT straighten their arms). Otherwise, you need to work the full range of motion without skipping the straight arm start and finish, which even in this strict straight bar muscle up will lead to ill-prepared brachialis and elbow irritation eventually, through this movement or other movements where you skip the straight arm portions of the movement. Otherwise, Johan, you are very strong and controlled. That's where you can improve.

Johan Hägg

@Luke Searra thank you for your great feedback. I feel a little stupid because I felt when doing the movement that my arms were straight when they obviously wasn't. Not straight at all.

im not sure if it's because of strengthissues, lack of flexibility or because I'm used to do them with not straight arms. But regardless of cause, I will work on it.

 

thank you again!!

Tanya Hill

Overall Johan, excellent control. Send us a video with a lock out at the bottom! :)

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Other than what Luke Searra stated... For now since you need it for counter balancing, do not worry about the piking. As you continue to develop your overall core, pulling, and pressing strengths you will gradually have less piking.

Johan Hägg

@Tanya Hill thank you very much! I appreciate it! Sure will! I will try to get some muscleup-reps during the weekends skill-training:)

Johan Hägg

@Rayne-William Fitzgerald Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate that you put the time in and comment feedback!

Luke Searra

@Johan HäggI second Tanya, absolutely rock solid control!

Johan Hägg

@Luke Searra Thanks alot, makes me happy!

here’s another try from today:

 

 

Tanya Hill

Slow and steady wins the race. Great strength Johan, looks untouchable with locked out elbows at the bottom! 

Next up work on that toe point. ;)

Johan Hägg

@Tanya Hill thank you very much! Appreciate it! I am really thankful that all of you took the time to feedback me!

haha :) thats one of the things i love about this; always Something to work on!

one of these days ill get there!

Johan Hägg

@Luke Searra @Tanya Hill I want to thank you for your feedback. As much as i love this move ive decided to let it rest for a while.

reason for that is that I finally have come to the conclusion that the foundation-series is the right thing for me. I bought F1 today and have started from scratch. I think that’s a good idea. Only concern is if I’m going to loose much of the strength I’ve gained. On the other hand, I’m confident that the strength will return during the foundation-series. What do you guys think?

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Johan Hägg,

Good job. I think that by the time you finish Foundation One your Muscle Up will be super easy. We are looking forward to your GB Foundation Journey. :)

Frank Santasiero

Johan,

The courses now have the option to select "too easy". You obviously have built a high level of strength and I understand your concern about losing strength. Admittedly when I started I supplemented the beginning of the GB curriculum with a few pullups and pushups once per week. I didn't lose any strength in my pulling power. I haven't tested my bench press in a long time and while I suspect it is down a bit, it is not a concern of mine. My appearance never changed. I lifted weights for many years and built up to a double body weight bench and a one arm chin up. Unlike you I was never able to do a controlled muscle up on rings or a bar. To my surprise, I can now do a controlled muscle up on rings (I haven't done any ring work). I think I can do this because of the added shoulder flexibility I gained through the stretch videos and some other exercises in the GB curriculum. To summarize, yea bench press probably down a bit but I have a much more balanced level of strength, more flexibility, and a much stronger core. Those hollow body holds are a killer. I highly recommend GB.

 

Johan Hägg

@Frank Santasiero thank you for your answer! After some 2 weeks of F1 I must say I’m no longer afraid of loosing strength. Even those first mastery levels are killers. I’m very excited about this and feel I won’t regret jumping aboard the foundation-ship!