Hello. I just started the fundamentals course and am on day 2. What exactly should we be focusing on for these four exercises of prone and supine? I feel like I am able to lay flat for both but not sure what I am suppose to be looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Day 2 Prone and Supine help
Started by Daylon Teel, October 24, 2017 · 17 Replies · 269 Views
Hey Daylon you need to check where are your limitation. for example when you lie on the floor facing the ceiling can you hold all the body on the floor with no space under the lower back? when you do the straight arm support facing the ceiling can you hold the hands at shoulders distance? the body on a straight single line? can you fully retract the shoulder blades?
ok got it. thanks
Daylon, do not hesitate to let us know if you need any guidance. Also feel free to post form videos as well.
Sorry to piggy back on this thread but I have a related question.
In the supine position my lower back is arched and if I flatten it the legs come up.
Is this a sign of short psoas and or what other issues?
Thanks
Hi @Alessandro Pantanella,
This may be the cause of weak hip flexors. I hope this helps.
@Leo Trinidad could you elaborate on this please?
I'm assuming this position with relaxed body and not actively engaging any muscles so I'm not sure how stronger hip flexors would help.
Thanks
12 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:Hi @Alessandro Pantanella,
This may be the cause of weak hip flexors. I hope this helps.
@Alessandro Pantanella
Leo, do mean stiff hip flexors? Flexing the hip flexors won't help to lay flat in supine like Alessandro is saying. It would be a weak core in this case.
Etienne,
I meant weak hip flexors. If your core is strong but your hip flexors are weak then you will stay "piked". (this will be clearly seen in your handstand)
5 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:Etienne,
I meant weak hip flexors. If your core is strong but your hip flexors are weak then you will stay "piked". (this will be clearly seen in your handstand)
Oh ok! Is it because weak hip flexors won't stretch as much as a strong one? Because, in a straight line on the floor, we want to extend the body. I'm sorry, I'm still confused ![]()
You need strong hip flexors to maintain and hold the open hip on the hollow body hold/handstand. Doing the Front Split Course will help you be able to hold and maintain open hips for your hollow body hold, handstand and will also help with your thoracic bridge, open tuck front lever and half lay front lever.
On 2017-12-15 at 1:08 PM, Leo Trinidad said:Hi @Alessandro Pantanella,
This may be the cause of weak hip flexors. I hope this helps.
@Leo Trinidad @Alessandro Mainente
Hi guys, this is intressting i have the same issue as @Alessandro Pantanella. If you coaches could hit us with 1 or 2 Great startingPE and/or IM for strenghtening a deconditioned hipflexor, would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Hi @Jonas Berglund,
As I said, the Front Split Stretch Course will surely help. Make sure not to neglect your SLS progressions too.
Crab, Frog, Stiff Bear and Inch Worm are a few movements that will help. The key is to keep refining the form in these movements so that your range of motion gets better and stronger. I hope this helps.
Hi Leo, thanks for your feedback. Could you please elaborate on how FSS is strengthening the hipflexor because i cant think of one exercise except maybe FSSSE7? The rest of the series seem to be more for flexibility? I want the strengtheing here.
The problem with SLS for me is I lack mobility for the IM, so im stuck on a PE who doesnt challenge my hipflexor ( because of poor Mobility in the IM)
In the crab, i feel like my posterior chain is working but not so much in my hipflexor(except a slight stretch). In the frog, more like mobility for my ankles. Id really like to find a more isolating hipflexor strengthening.
Would it be worth adding 1-2 exercises ahead of current progression? Like adding MNSE2>IM and/or MNPE4 1-2 sets after doing our current MN-progression. Good or bad Idea?
Hi @Jonas Berglund,
Since this is the Fundamentals Section, let me start first with Crab. The reason why you are feeling it more in your posterior chain and not with your legs/hips/hips flexor is because your body focuses on that part only. In GST, you not only focus on one part. (your whole body should feel every movement and you do not isolate anything). For the frog, your lack in mobility in your ankles lets you feel everything there because of that. If you are having doubts on your form, you can send video for form check/video review. I would like to put every progression that will help with strengthening and opening the hip but that would be part of the other courses which the Foundation Series and Stretch Courses tackles. It will take time for you to be able to feel what I am talking about. It took me a lot of going back and forth to PE1 before getting my body awareness. Now training is much more fun and easy. I will never give up Foundation One. Still doing them up to this point.
I suggest that you go to a GB Seminar and learn more about this.
Good question on adding advanced progressions in MN. My answer is YES. I highly advise that you add advance progressions but AFTER your training. You may also do this with the other elements wherein you get stuck. (like SLS) I hope this helps.
Leo, this is exactly what I needed. I hope one day ill feel it and everything make sense as you experienced. I definitely want to go to the next near-by GB seminar, UK or scandinavia would be very nice.
I Will start doing a couple sets of the more advanced manna progressions, AFTER my main work to condition hipflexor area.
Thank you for this well explained feedback!
No problem Jonas. Good luck with training. Try to plan your GB Seminar as early as now because it really sells out fast and there are limited slots.
One last thing, make sure to add the things that you have mastered in your warmup. Incorporate your weaknesses in both warmup and cooldown.
On 19/12/2017 at 9:29 AM, Leo Trinidad said:Hi @Jonas Berglund,
Since this is the Fundamentals Section, let me start first with Crab. The reason why you are feeling it more in your posterior chain and not with your legs/hips/hips flexor is because your body focuses on that part only. In GST, you not only focus on one part. (your whole body should feel every movement and you do not isolate anything). For the frog, your lack in mobility in your ankles lets you feel everything there because of that. If you are having doubts on your form, you can send video for form check/video review. I would like to put every progression that will help with strengthening and opening the hip but that would be part of the other courses which the Foundation Series and Stretch Courses tackles. It will take time for you to be able to feel what I am talking about. It took me a lot of going back and forth to PE1 before getting my body awareness. Now training is much more fun and easy. I will never give up Foundation One. Still doing them up to this point.I suggest that you go to a GB Seminar and learn more about this.
Good question on adding advanced progressions in MN. My answer is YES. I highly advise that you add advance progressions but AFTER your training. You may also do this with the other elements wherein you get stuck. (like SLS) I hope this helps.
Thanks Leo,
It took me a bit to wrap my head around weak vs tight hip flexors but these are definitely useful tips. I'll incorporate that in my training.
Cheers