This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretching Lower Back

Started by Kevin Easton, October 22, 2017 · 5 Replies · 156 Views

Kevin Easton

Due to working conditions I have been spending ALOT of time in the car.  Without getting into specifics, I have been doing 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, for the last 8 weeks.  Some days I am rarely out of the vehicle, basically to use the washroom and that's it.

As a result, my lower back has been SCREAMING. 

I am looking for some ways that I can stretch my lower back.  Jefferson curls seem to do the trick, but I have been doing them with 70lbs and at home or work I don't have that option.

Can you suggest some other stretches I can be doing?

Would tight hip flexors also be flaring up my lower back?

I am still young (In my own eyes) 35 years old and I don't want to turn into one of these older guys with back problems I see at work on the daily.

Pauline Taube

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for reaching out.

Sorry to hear about your backpain. Unfortunately this is not uncommon to experience when sitting for so many hours a day. Tight hip flexors can definitely be a cause of low back pain. I would recommend to do the Front Split series at a weekly basis. This course contains a lot of great stretches for both hamstrings and hip flexors.

I would also pick some hamstring and hip flexor stretches to perform as a daily limber throughout the day ( or in the morning/evening). If these areas areas tight, your low back is more likely to flare up. 

Please let us know how you go :) 

Luke Searra

Kevin as Pauline was saying back pain is usually caused by tight hip flexors and hamstrings as well as weak or atrophying muscles in the lower back. The most useful "do anywhere", stretch I have found that will stretch you from heel to neck in the leaning pike wall stretch, which you will see in a blog that GB will publish on October 30th. Please give this a try, you can do it multiple times daily, and it comes very close to a weighted Jefferson curl in effect.

Kevin Easton

I just found a video of the leaning pike wall stretch.

Not what I thought, but looks awesome.

Makes me wonder how the heck someone thought of that one, LOL

Luke Searra

Kevin - whoever thought that one up (I am guessing it was Coach Sommer), is a complete genius. Just make sure that you keep your heels 100% against the floor, and while you are doing that, aim to straighten your legs. It is my pleasure to introduce you to this little known and incredibly effective and convenient stretch. Feel free to post form check videos if need be.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hi Luke,

I thinks its already up, saw an article this weekend and looks great! Easy to do anywhere

 Is it better to keep the head in contact with the floor? Assuming you start with arms length distance.

Feli