I'm deciding to make my f1 progress easier on myself by doing more cardio and using Sommer's recommended schedule to allow this. For someone wanting to lose weight, what amount of cardio is recommened? And what days should I incorporate cardio?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
cardio and sommer's recommended schedule
Started by Jesse Kim, October 22, 2017 · 10 Replies · 681 Views
Hi Jesse,
Love your idea. Cardio is a bit different for everyone. If you are new to cardio, or its been a while I would start slow and build upon. For example, a light job (15-20 Minutes) once or twice a week to start, then progress bi-weekly. When adding a new exercise program typically it takes your body 30 days to adjust and start seeing results, that varies of course.
What type of cardio are you going to be adding in? Swimming, jogging, jump rope, etc?
Hi Tanya!
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate it a lot!
My main form of cardio will consist of jumping rope. It’s been a month since I stopped doing f1 because of stuff happening at home.
Not to say I’m a complete beginner, but I think I wasn’t keeping my priorities straight. On days where legs aren’t worked on, should I add jumping rope then?
If i'm not mistaken there is not recommended Cardio for weight loss among this forum. It's recommended that you focus on getting your diet right and hitting your F1/strength training workouts, which are better for fatloss anyways. But if you're just looking to implement cardio in your weekly workout schedule, then that has been discussed here if you wish to read the thread:
"Excellent point.
This is illustrative of the substantial difference in training effects that manipulating running volume can have; e.g. ts00nami's former 30 miles per week (loss of strength) and the Sr Chinese National Team's current volume of 6-15 miles per week (strongest in the world). My best approximation is that the Chinese are probably hitting nearer the 9 mile mark on a weekly basis (not including 400m work), with the occasional 6 and 15 mile weeks being thrown in depending on the training cycle.
My personal preference is to see the weekly running total stay at the lower end of the scale near the 6 mile range. At this volume you could break it up into either three 2 mile days or two 3 mile days. Thus even if you are not a particularly proficient runner, if you choose the 2 miles a day option; you are still finished with this portion of your workout in 15-18 minutes. Which is actually perfect to sufficiently elevate your core temperature enough to proceed directly into your joint prehab work prior to the main body of your workout.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer"
Personally, I'd say if you're using jumprope you should just do it for 5-10 minutes as a warm up for your F1 workouts and if you're going to do separate workouts, then do a 15-20 min workout for jumprope in the evening atleast 6 hours after your F1 workout.
That sounds perfect. I’ll try this out for a while and see how it affects my f1 workout.
I agree with RR. Nutrition and strength training with GST is the best recipe for weight/fat loss. I train 6 days per week with GST. Each workout starts with skipping rope... three days of 10 - 12 minutes as a warm-up alternating with three days of HIIT tabatas (2 consecutive sets of 4 minutes each). And yes, sometimes tabatas fall on leg days and don't impact the quality of the workout.
Jesse... Good luck with your weight loss goals!
Thanks everyone! The reason why I had questions about this is because Sommer said on a Reddit ama that for someone overweight, losing the fat should be your first priority. He stated that strength and mobility should be light and cardio be, well, cardio.
I think the reddit post is online somewhere...
Jesse, think about it like this: If you are overly heavy and weigh for example 350lbs, you need to move that weight every single push-up, and every single pushup you do will be a 350lb pushup. If you manage to lower your weight to 225lbs, you will vastly improve your power to weight ratio and m"pushing-up" your own weight will become even easier. You must absolutely focus on nutrition in combination with GST to get the best results possible for overall longevity, as well as for increasing your bodyweight strength. Make it easier for yourself. Jump rope, in particular (referring to cardio), provides one of the highest fat burning curves in addition to providing huge coordination learning benefits. Take advantage of it all.
The way Luke puts it makes me want to jump rope lol
2 hours ago, Luke Searra said:Jesse, think about it like this: If you are overly heavy and weigh for example 350lbs, you need to move that weight every single push-up, and every single pushup you do will be a 350lb pushup. If you manage to lower your weight to 225lbs, you will vastly improve your power to weight ratio and m"pushing-up" your own weight will become even easier. You must absolutely focus on nutrition in combination with GST to get the best results possible for overall longevity, as well as for increasing your bodyweight strength. Make it easier for yourself. Jump rope, in particular (referring to cardio), provides one of the highest fat burning curves in addition to providing huge coordination learning benefits. Take advantage of it all.
Thank you, Luke!
The way you put it makes it a lot easier for me to wrap my head around it. Nutrition and sleep is by far my biggest priority. I hope I didn’t make it sound like I wasn’t going to focus on nutrition, because I am and have been for a while.
I’ll try it out and see how I progress. Thanks again! ![]()
Can I suggest you give the article below a read, and consider the type of 'cardio' you want to implement - making sure it supports your primary goal (if that is indeed GST)
http://www.8weeksout.com/2017/04/18/combining-strength-and-conditioning/