This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE16 pullover question

Started by Jin Liu, October 21, 2017 · 17 Replies · 282 Views

Jin Liu

I'm not there yet, but I've tried it a couple times, with a spotter. Strength-wise I don't think it's that hard, but I have never done anything similar before, and being that high up on the bar makes me a bit nervous. What if my grip slips while I'm upside down? I have a bar 7ft above the ground in the backyard. Do I need a crash mat for this? Can this exercise be done on a lower bar where the legs cannot be fully extended when you hang? 

Mark Schoenhard

I'm 5'6" and use a 5' high bar for pullovers and naners with no complications. For pullovers I stay in an L-sit at the bottom. I think you will be surprised how well you keep a grip on the bar if you are unable to get legs over. Pull the bar towards the hips strongly and avoid throwing the head back. Pay close attention to the grip change on the course video. Chalk helps for sweaty palms. Once you get one you will want to do a million.

Jin Liu
1 hour ago, Mark Schoenhard said:

I'm 5'6" and use a 5' high bar for pullovers and naners with no complications. For pullovers I stay in an L-sit at the bottom. I think you will be surprised how well you keep a grip on the bar if you are unable to get legs over. Pull the bar towards the hips strongly and avoid throwing the head back. Pay close attention to the grip change on the course video. Chalk helps for sweaty palms. Once you get one you will want to do a million.

Nice!! I’ll try that on a lower bar with an L sit. I guess that makes it harder by taking away some of the momentum you generate with the extended body to get legs over the bar?

Jin Liu

Did some pullover all by myself (yay!) on the pull-up bar on the wall. The bar is pretty close to the wall and the ceiling. It took me a while not to “walk” along the ceiling or the wall as I turn over, which almost looked like a Spider-Man, lol!

Below is my best set yet. I’m not sure if I can have the legs straight as I turn over, since the bar is too close to the wall. Would it be a problem to keep the legs bent there? Does this setting work? Any other things I should correct in the video? Thanks!

 

Mark Schoenhard

Great effort Jin. My first focus is to get the chin above the bar before bringing the legs up over.

Jin Liu
9 hours ago, Mark Schoenhard said:

Great effort Jin. My first focus is to get the chin above the bar before bringing the legs up over.

Thank you! I thought I was doing a chin up first, but didn't realize at all that I leaned back way too early.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

I am using a pull up bar at a local playground, that is about as tall as I am, and need to bend my knees when at the bottom position. 

From my understanding or at least how I do them... (Generally speaking the way I complete them is a result of finding ways to make them harder than usual. I am sure Coach Sommer can think of ways to make pullovers more difficult.)

Pullovers:
1. Starting at the bottom position of a pull up.
2. Pull up as high as you can.
3. While holding hollow body position as best as you can, extend your arms so that you pass through a single bar inverted hang.
4. After completing or while transitioning into a single bar inverted hang,  complete an inverted upright row near your belly button to end at the support position with full scapula depression.
5. Roll forward under the bar, back to the top position of a pull up.
6. The repetition ends at the bottom position of a pull up.

Jeffrey Bittner

Rayne-William has the right idea, however, I recommend doing steps 3 and 4 differently. After pulling to a chin hang, keep your chin by the bar and pull your knees towards your face keeping your eyes on your toes. Your body will naturally rotate up and over the bar. As you sit up, roll the wrists up on top of the bar so that you can push up/do a single bar dip.

Jin Liu

Thanks guys!! How does this attempt look? I realize I need to control it more, and stop swinging so much... 

 

Alessandro Mainente

I like it, keep working.

Nick Murray

I liked the walking on the ceiling on the last rep! I might try this element - it looks a lot of fun to do!

Jin Liu
33 minutes ago, Nick Murray said:

I liked the walking on the ceiling on the last rep! I might try this element - it looks a lot of fun to do!

Yea, without the ceiling walk it’s not nearly as fun :P

Jin Liu

Omigosh this lil guy is killing it :P <3 

 

Kai Ewert

I don't know... 

legs bent, toes not pointed, arms not locked out at the bottom - there's no way he's getting a pass on that by Alessandro... ;)

 

Jin Liu
4 hours ago, Kai Ewert said:

I don't know... 

legs bent, toes not pointed, arms not locked out at the bottom - there's no way he's getting a pass on that by Alessandro... ;)

 

Hahaha!! But yea, no double standards even if this lil dude is only 4 days old and extremely cute!! 

Petri Widsten
11 minutes ago, Jin Liu said:

Hahaha!! But yea, no double standards even if this lil dude is only 4 days old and extremely cute!! 

And does he even do the matching iM at all...

Alessandro Mainente

ahahahahah damn little kid!!!!! it is so bad that they tend to be soo strong when they are pretty young (around 3-6) and then they tend to lose strength. probably the growth of the limbs has a bigger role in that.

Suzanna McGee

aw so adorable… a Little Coach Sommer Mini-Me  :P