This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson curl progression

Started by Martin Byrod, October 20, 2017 · 19 Replies · 1,139 Views

Martin Byrod

I have a question about progression for Jefferson curls. I searched the forum and found some discussions on this topic but none of them really answered my question so here we go.

I have been doing Jefferson curls for the last 2-3 months or so once a week as part of Foundation 1. I started unweighted but rather quickly went up to 25lb which felt good so that's what I have been sticking to. Since I've been doing that for a while now I'm thinking it could be time to add more weight. Do you think I can add 10lb and go up to 35lb? I hope so because that's the smallest increment I can add without going and buying smaller weights... After that how often do you think I can increase the weight and by how much?

Also I was wondering what weight would count as mastery? This is for MN/PE2. I understand that bodyweight is the ultimate goal, but it feels like it would take me very long to reach that.

Thanks a lot!

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hei Martin 5 kg it is fine, I still prefer 2.5 but if you can do with no problem the 25 lbs you can go for  10 lb.

For the mastery the 50% of the bodyweight it is required. THEN for a long-term goal, strive to reach the full BW. it means years of work.

Coach Sommer

Hello Martin,

Probably you would be fine.   However it is important to realize that the proposed 10lbs addition would actually be nearly a 50% increase in load.

I would recommend starting with only a 2.5 to 5.0lb increase and then reevaluate.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Martin Byrod

Ok thanks for the input! I can probably try something creative like duct taping a small dumbbell to my bar to get a small increase. I have a 3lb and a 6lb dumbbell so I can do it in really small increments.

Christian Gabel

Hi Allessandro,

I am new in this forum. You say 50% of bodyweight is requiered for mastery ... how could I know, if I haven't seen this now by accident? ... is such information about weights standing somewhere?

Greetz,
Christian

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Christian , the private forum it is made to clarify this type of details. there is so much to say more about all the PE's and IM's that 2-3 landing page for one element is not enough on the course page!!

Antonio Alías Montoya

Alessandro is right Christian. My only critic to that is that should be clarified everywhere in the courses that the forum is not optional, it s absolutely mandatory. I couldn t have learnt without being constantly reading this forum. Here you can find tons of tips. I also recommend you to submit check forms for every exercise, something that should also be more repeated and clarified in GB courses.

Christian Gabel

Okay, good to know. Thanks! ... I still would prefer a hint in the instructional video ;) 

Chris Umiastowski

Guys - there is no excuse to leave out critical information on the actual workout page that people use when doing their sets/reps. If J-curls require 50% of body weight for mastery this should be added to the appropriate workout page so people understand this.  It's a huge thing to leave out. GB is awesome, but it would be even more awesome if one person on staff could start to collect this kind of missing information and correct it on the appropriate workout pages. It's not a huge thing to ask. But it's a huge thing to have.

Kenneth Stainback

 mentions 50% BW. Can someone clarify what the mastery weight should be for the Jefferson Curl? Thank you.

Coach Sommer

Kenneth,

My preference is for you to initially be more ROM focused rather than load focused.  In the case of JC, the movement itself is the medicine and gradually increasing load over time increases the efficacy of this movement.  JC is one of the exercises which is always going to remain in your training, regardless of the specific PE you are currently working on.

Everyone begins training with their own particular set of physical deficits.  Some people will be able to begin JC with substantial loads.  Others will need to start extremely light.  Where you start is not nearly as important as where you end up.

For example, one student comes to mind who began his first JC training with 20kg.  This resulted in tremendous soreness the next day and he ended up reducing his training load all the way down to 1kg.  1kg!  This 1kg however was the appropriate load which allowed him to train; not strain.  It should be noted that over the course of the next 18 months, he comfortably increased his JC load until he ultimately was using 75% bodyweight.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Kenneth Stainback

Thanks, coach. I have started very light and am slowly increasing, as you have suggested... quality movement over pushing as much weight as you can. I was just asking what is considered mastery weight for this exercise. If it is 20% BW or 50% BW... either way, I still have a long way to go... just wanted to know.

Marko Sekulic
1 hour ago, Coach Sommer said:

  JC is one of the exercises which is always going to remain in your training, regardless of the specific PE you are currently working on.

  Where you start is not nearly as important as where you end up.

Hi Coach,

Could You tell us, which are the other exercises that should ALWAYS remain in our training? If I understood right, weighted shoulder dislocates are the second...is there any other?

Thanks.

P.S. 

Second sentence blow my mind...

 

Andrey Kruglykhin

All,

Would you have ideas/tips on how to integrate the JC into the training schedule of F1 if the programmed F1 JC stage is long done? Shall JC be added in some reps/load/sets onto every day training?...

Brgds,

Andrey

Marko Sekulic
3 minutes ago, Andrey Kruglykhin said:

All,

Would you have ideas/tips on how to integrate the JC into the training schedule of F1 if the programmed F1 JC stage is long done? Shall JC be added in some reps/load/sets onto every day training?...

Brgds,

Andrey

Hi Andrey,

I am doing F1 3 times a week and H1 and strech courses 3 times a week, and I am doing JC 2 sets of 10r after my warm up on H1 days.

I would sougest to do your JC after your warm up, first thing, and than your main part of training. Just say what works for me...I am getting very good strength and mobility gains from that.

Good luck,

Marko.

Leigh Kettle

This is interesting and completely agree with @Chris Umiastowski About this being mentioned in our workout pages As I never knew about this weight Mastery  

the Jc is the paired Mobility to straddle up as we all know 

are you saying we should stay on this element until we have reached 50 percent of bodyweight on the bar before we pass as mastered ? As stated this could actually be years of  training 

what i did is moved on to the next progression (v ups) but have kept Jefferson curls in my weekly scheduled 2/3 times a week so I can focus on improving it all the time 

Is this ok?

leigh 

Chris Hara

I've never heard that about 50% body weight for JC mastery or JC being continued after mastery. It would be great if all of this information could be integrated into the foundation courses. 

Tom Pavant
On 6/2/2018 at 6:38 PM, Coach Sommer said:

Kenneth,

My preference is for you to initially be more ROM focused rather than load focused.  In the case of JC, the movement itself is the medicine and gradually increasing load over time increases the efficacy of this movement.  JC is one of the exercises which is always going to remain in your training, regardless of the specific PE you are currently working on.

Everyone begins training with their own particular set of physical deficits.  Some people will be able to begin JC with substantial loads.  Others will need to start extremely light.  Where you start is not nearly as important as where you end up.

For example, one student comes to mind who began his first JC training with 20kg.  This resulted in tremendous soreness the next day and he ended up reducing his training load all the way down to 1kg.  1kg!  This 1kg however was the appropriate load which allowed him to train; not strain.  It should be noted that over the course of the next 18 months, he comfortably increased his JC load until he ultimately was using 75% bodyweight.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you for clarifying that up coach !

Is there a post somewhere about which other exercises should always remain in our training after mastery ?

Many thanks,

Tom

Eric Heiden

Hi - just want to bring this back up in hopes of receiving an answer on when it's appropriate to progress past JC onto PE3/iM3 as it's my current progression.

Marko Sekulic

Hi Eric,

As far as I know, 50% of bodyweight is required for JC mastery (than you can move to next progression if PE is good). But even when you reach 50% of BW you should continue doing it regularly in your training and progressively build up to a full bodyweight load.

Hope this help.