When I do the stretches that involve a straddle position, I feel an intense stretch in the back of my knees that keeps building as I go through the stretches. It's strong enough that it's hard to focus on the rest of the cues for the exercise, and I worry I'm hyperextending/overstretching them. Should I modify the exercise so that the knee stretch is less intense? (And if so, how?) Or is this a normal thing that I should just continue to work through?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Back of knees in straddle
Started by Zoe Epstein, October 19, 2017 · 4 Replies · 134 Views
Hi Zoe,
Sounds like you are pushing too hard on these. Definitely decrease the intensity of the stretch. Also feel free to submit a form check if you are in doubt ![]()
Thanks Pauline!
What would be the best way to decease the intensity? Flex toes instead of pointing? Bend my knees a little? Bring my legs closer together?
Just now, Zoe Epstein said:Thanks Pauline!
What would be the best way to decease the intensity? Flex toes instead of pointing? Bend my knees a little? Bring my legs closer together?
Hey Zoe,
There are several ways you can scale this position. It depends on where the issue is stemming from.
The first is to narrow your leg position to approximately 90-100 degrees. Any wider than this and the glutes can no longer stabilize the hip joint.
The second would be to elevate your hips into stretch blocks. This will decrease the intensity of the stretch until the back of your knees can withstand the stretch.
The third and final option is to bend the knees. Understand that once you feel comfortable here you must then start to straighten and lock your knees gradually over time.
But like Pauline said, you would have the most success by submitting a form check for review ![]()
Hi Zoe,
The back of your knees are tender because you have not previously trained that portion of your R.O.M. and your hamstrings and calves are tight. The increased discomfort over the course of your workout is due to accumulated fatigue.
Moving forward, keep the knees completely straight and mitigate the intensity of the stretch by increasing or decreasing the depth of the movement as needed to keep the level of perceived discomfort moderate.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer