This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lifting Legs in headstand/ handstand

Started by Miguel Rodriguez Romay, October 19, 2017 · 8 Replies · 291 Views

Miguel Rodriguez Romay

Dear all,

I bought HS1 which I think it is a great resource.  I am progressing well and I am currently in PE3. But I am following the course together with my son who is only 6. He is stuck in PE2 and has no strength to lift the legs from PE1. He needs definitely to get also in a better position as his back is too rounded.   I read in the forum that it is something that has to be trained little by little, first one leg and then the other... etc,...anyway , also for me, because I would like to do that movement slowly and with more  control,  maybe legs stretched etc .. is there any good auxiliary exercise that can help us to get that strength or that can "replicate" this movement? Is it hip strength that he needs? abs?

Thanks a lot!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Miguel, can you upload a video, please? it can be lower back muscles or a problem with the center of gravity.

Miguel Rodriguez Romay

This is from this week

Alessandro Mainente

Keep legs together, I was meaning if you can show a video of your boy with a side view of possible.

Miguel Rodriguez Romay

It is not a very good video, but shows his position. He can usually hold it for 60 seconds. He is learning the crow pose too, and I think he is influenced by that, mixing both,  but I am not sure how to explain him. 

 

Alessandro Mainente

ahahah nice attempt from this little man!

well, the problem Miguel it is technical, your son must try to put the knee under the tricep and not the medial quad on the tricep. this makes a substantial difference on moving up the center of gravity.

Jin Liu

OMG! Cutest GB athlete ever! <3

Jennifer Marie

He's adorable! Keep encouraging him. He's young enough not to have suffered from the eternally tight muscles of sitting of school/work yet. I wish I'd started something physical at that age.

 

Tobias Karlsson

That is great  to see! I have often felt that I am to weak for an exercise only to realize that what is lacking is my balance in the position. Once the balance is there it becomes easy to performe the movement. I think of it like the brain is preventing the muscles to move the body out of balance. However, once you have good balance the muscles are free to function.