Good joint prep by kung fu practitioner

Started by Ido Portal, March 22, 2010 · 2 Replies · 3,114 Views

Ido Portal

qNWXx8MxBuE

Many people may regard this as strength training, but in actuality, this is not realy a demonstration of maximal strength but some excellent joint preparation procedures I also use extensivly in my own practice.

Many good techniques for joint prep exist in traditional martial arts, most of them reflect a need for great joint integrity for the practice of those systems.

If you are inspired to begin to use this in your warm-up and cool-downs, make sure to use proper progressions and not start too intensly. The same preparatory procedures can result in some fantastic injuries, stay safe.

Ido.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

I have a few issues regarding some of those squat variations.

Recently I have been doing a bit of internal rotation work to correct some of my own imbalances. This seems to go against everything you think should be good, yet I have generally been feeling better since I started doing some work with the hip past the neutral line. In this video he is turning his knees all the way down to the floor!One of my (non exercising) friends can 'naturally' turn his hips in and out fully so that his knees face directly away and towards each other. Is it safe and healthy to turn the hips in like this or is it just something a few individuals can achieve?

Ido Portal

Yes, obviously many will share the same view, but the whole purpose of joint prep is to put gradual pressure on the connective tissue in order to elicit thickening and make it more resilient.

Of course that fully internal rotated squats can potentialy cause a lot of damage for the unprepared body, but at the same time they offer great protective potential for certain knee ligaments.

It is the same with the iron cross and straight arm work. Jump into the rings and try an iron cross right away and I assure you, you will end up with trauma. But, use a correct progression of straight arm work and reach the iron cross gradualy, and you will have a different set of elbows - much more resilient and strong.

Ido.