This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sideways hollow roll and assisted forward roll

Started by Katherine Zodiaco, October 18, 2017 · 2 Replies · 86 Views

Katherine Zodiaco

Hi! I never expected to love movement so much, but I do! All the exercises up to my current progressions (sideways hollow roll and assisted forward roll) have felt amazing. I feel so good after completing movement!

I will submit form checks but also have some questions about these exercises...

Sideways - what? how? I can work either on those somewhat cushy portable mats or on thud rug over concrete. I chose concrete for my 1st experiment - fail. I'll keep trying, but do you have any pointers...any? I just fell over and bug on back style tried without success and a bit of lower back pain to push back up into the hollow position.

Assisted forward roll - OMG I have to stand on something and dive head first to the ground?! Not happening. Nooooooo too scary and it hurt when I landed on my mid-back, not doing that again. I've been just doing a forward roll, is that ok? 

Which brings me to my question about the forward roll - where do I place my weight? I'm catching quite a bit in my arms which feels good but I'm also plopping onto my upper mid back which sometimes takes my breath away. What should hit the ground first, other than hands. 

Thanks,

Kathy

 

Everett Carroll
On 10/18/2017 at 9:13 AM, Katherine Zodiaco said:

I just fell over and bug on back style tried without success and a bit of lower back pain to push back up into the hollow position.

Since your lower back didn't feel great doing these, you should hold off on them for a while. Train the previous progression until your Hanstand One iM's and Core workouts help you develop more strength and stability in the long hollow position. You can also strengthen your long hollow during your inchworm. If you're not already doing those diagnostic drills for warm-up, definitely start now. 

For the Assisted Forward Roll, the back of your shoulders should be making contact with the ground first. Don't skip progressions. Instead, practice T1/3.1 until you feel comfortable with that feeling. Form checks are very helpful; can't wait to see them!

Katherine Zodiaco

Oh yes, the inchworm. I do those 3x a week - I think one huge issue is that the floor I'm able to use is crazy slippery! Reading your response lets me know that's a problem I need to solve. That'll help a ton with my inchworm progress.

@Everett Carroll, I just re-watched & re-read the movement videos in the course library. Great call - I'm not doing the long hollow roll correctly! My chest rolls on the ground. I'll submit a form check from today's work. Thanks a bunch for your response.