This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Building to Straddle Ups -back pain

Started by Matthew Kramer, October 18, 2017 · 4 Replies · 119 Views

Matthew Kramer

Straddle ups put seem to put to much stress on my lumbar spine. Likely a strength deficiency preventing me from ideal form. I have a long history of lower back dysfunction so I am wondering if there are things I can pair with straddle ups or to instead of, that will help develop technique and address weakness. 

Matt

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Matthew, the problem on the lower back happens when one-joint hip flexor like psoas  major and iliacus are stronger than abs. be sure about rolling up the spine on the ascent part and then extend it slowly in the eccentric part. the focus point should be:

-in the scent part the first goal it is to reduce up to zero the space under the lower back

-in the descent part, the lower back space must be held to zero all the time.

-as the abs becomes fatigued and the lower back stress increase, stop immediately.

begin to stretch seriously the hips flexor.

Matthew Kramer

That is great feedback.  Thx

Kamiel Rongen

Hey Matthew, I also experienced some lower back pain in straddle ups. I noticed I didn't keep core tension after reaching the top position, when I focused more on keeping core tension during the complete movement i haven't experienced back pain anymore.

Leo Trinidad

Hi Matthew,

I agree with Kamiel. In any GST exercise that involves lower back, engaging the core negates or lessens the tension in the lower back.