This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Over-grip Wall Handstand

Started by Amanda Chavez, October 18, 2017 · 4 Replies · 102 Views

Amanda Chavez

Good day all. 

In regards to over-grip wall handstand, I have been using dumbbells as I do not have access to pirouette bar. An other ideas? If I do not have acces to any item that would produce the over-grip can I do a "traditional" handstand?

Thanks.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Amanda Chavez,

Temporarily I also attempted using the dumbbells but the problem with this is it is hard to maintain alignment as the dumbbell may move and also the grip is sometimes different and slippery. I highly suggest in investing to build or buy parallettes. I hope this helps.

Kai Ewert

I think it is important to have a bar as your support surface because that changes the balancing. So a "traditional" handstand would not work if by that you mean hands on the floor.

Building something like parallettes that would work for the early elements (but not the pirouettes) will cost less than $10 for a 2x4 and a dowel rod 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 inch thick plus a few screws if you have a drill and screwdriver. Alternatively, you could glue something together from PVC pipe - there are instructions on the web that you can find (and likely scale down a bit). 

I spent a bit more and got a handrail from a home improvement store to make a setup much like the ones in the course material (6 ft long) using the handrail, some scap wood and screws. 

Amanda Chavez
13 hours ago, Kai Ewert said:

I think it is important to have a bar as your support surface because that changes the balancing. So a "traditional" handstand would not work if by that you mean hands on the floor.

Building something like parallettes that would work for the early elements (but not the pirouettes) will cost less than $10 for a 2x4 and a dowel rod 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 inch thick plus a few screws if you have a drill and screwdriver. Alternatively, you could glue something together from PVC pipe - there are instructions on the web that you can find (and likely scale down a bit). 

I spent a bit more and got a handrail from a home improvement store to make a setup much like the ones in the course material (6 ft long) using the handrail, some scap wood and screws. 

I'd love to build a set and a long one but currently 3 months into a 12 month assignment in Singapore and no tools in my possession (all in storage). So gotta make due or pony up some cash.

Kai Ewert

You could get some tiny parallettes such as these: http://a.co/7r0VZ5S - not cheap but will work and you can use them for other things as well