Not sure if any of you have had a similar experience or advice on how to avoid this in the future:
I started doing a full Gymnastic Bodies static and dynamic strength training program beginning in the early winter. Everything was going fine until about the second week of my "second evolution" - that is, after a 12-week "first evolution", when I increased the intensity or progression of every individual exercise for the first time. Specifically, as I went from a back lever in flat tuck to a back lever in straddle, I also turned the wrings so that my wrists were pointing away from my head just as I observed in the photos demonstrating the move in "Building the Gymnastic Body".
I felt my shoulder, bicep and forearm muscles straining. By set #4 of 6 (I was doing 6 x 10 seconds), I began to feel needles in my right hand and a partial loss of sensation as when your arm falls asleep. I thought nothing of it and completed my training for the day.
When I woke up the next day, I still felt needles in my middle, index and thumb fingers as well as the meaty part of my hand, and I had only about 70% sensation in my thumb finger. After seeing my physician, a hand surgeon and, finally, a neurologist, it was diagnosed as a "pulled" nerve. As I understand it, nerve tissue does not stretch, and I had managed to extend my median nerve (Volar interosseous) slightly beyond its limit. The neurologist said that it was the least severe type of nerve injury - the others being carpal tunnel (wearing of the myelin sheath) or pinching a nerve. The neurologist's prescription was to rest the hand for 2 weeks, so I rested 3. It took approximately a week and a half from the date of the injury to regain 100% sensation in my thumb.
Fast forward to today: while training the back lever in flat tuck, I ended up recreating the same type of injury in both my left and right hand (again), though nowhere near as severely as the first time. The second and third times there was nothing more than the slight sensation of needles in the index and thumb fingers. I tried several things: not turning my wrists but, rather, keeping them pointed towards each other, using chalk so my palms remained firmly around the rings and being conscious not to strain my arm muscles too severely.
This has happened enough times that I am going to take a bit of a longer break this time and do a 12 weeks to BUD/S workout in the meantime. Any insight on why this injury happened or how to avoid it in the future? Any help would be appreciated; I am chomping at the bit to start my GB workout again!!!
Thank you,
Mik