This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Corn - Is It a good source of starch?

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, October 16, 2017 · 5 Replies · 106 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello Guys, Just a Quick question! I was thinking to add corn as additional source of starches on my diet (Basically for snacks)! Can I consider It a good source of starches Just like the other most favorable ones? 

Thanks in Advance! 

Alessandro

Jennifer Marie

*Bump*

I think so Alessandro, but I'd like a coach to chime in. I've heard peas also fall in the starch category, and once heard carrots call starch, so I'm curious about all three of these veggies.

Jennifer Marie

@Jeff Serven Would you mind chiming in here? 

Much thanks!

Jared Birbeck

I think I had asked a similar thing a while ago. there are a number of vegetables that Thrive has in Veg that can have a relatively high starch/carb content. Corn was one of them, Parsnip and beetroot were others. Parsnip in that discussion ended up on the starch side. But the others kind of sat on the veg side. I tend to use them as a bit of a combo depending on the volume and use. If there is a lot on the plate its a starch, it is is an addition to a larger salad it is a veg.

Peas I group with legumes, and the volume i'd have is often small in terms of portion sizes. if its a lot its in the starches like legumes, if its a little bit its just a veg. Carrots I have as a veg. beets a veg. Definitely depends on use and volumes though. If I was to treat corn/peas/carrots as the lunch starch here I would need at least double the portion size recommended. I have rice as the starch, peas carrots beets and corn as veg as part of a bigger salad. try it and see. I feel better with more carbs than those can offer. 

Jennifer Marie

Oh my, my head is spinning Jared! Sometimes yes, sometimes no... :wacko:

Jared Birbeck

Ha ha. yep. sometimes yes sometimes no. so easy to over think it. when you get to lesson 12 there is more information there in a download but Corn is a weird one. it is definitely higher carb and fits nicely with the starches with similarities to potato for carb quantities but there is more in it than just starch and it is higher fibre. when my wife had gestational diabetes corn was in the starches. Corn I think has 12g of carb (5g fibre) per 100g vs rice at 36g, Potato at 11g (2g fibre) 15g for sweet potato.

I don't think corn is an ideal starch source for Thrive as it isn't listed. I'd go to the listed options from the earlier lessons. I love corn, but wouldn't eat the portion sizes required to get the optimal results.