This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Russian dip progression

Started by Jin Liu, October 15, 2017 · 5 Replies · 102 Views

Jin Liu

Thanks to all the old posts on this topic (esp. @Petri Widsten's progression threads), I really learned a lot. I'm going to use band to help build up the strength and control :). I also tried another scaling method (2nd half of the video), which lets the elbows drop half way instead of all the way down before pressing up. I saw people using this method when developing strength for the "Impossible dip", or tricep dip (vs shoulder dip). I thought the 2nd method may help develop the habit of keeping the shoulders depressed above the elbows at all times, and force the body to use more control and less momentum. But these can probably be achieved with band too, as Russian dip is still mainly a type of shoulder dip... What do you think? Also, any bad habits you see in the video that I should kill early on? Thank you!

 

Alessandro Mainente

The problem of the second method it is that you are putting assistance on the elbows while the primary goal should be to reduce the upper arm range of motion.

Jin Liu
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The problem of the second method it is that you are putting assistance on the elbows while the primary goal should be to reduce the upper arm range of motion.

@Alessandro Mainente, could you clarify what you mean by reducing the upper arm rom? Maybe I’m getting it wrong, I’m not sure how it’s reduced in the Russian dip...

Mikey Cunanan
8 minutes ago, Jin Liu said:

@Alessandro Mainente, could you clarify what you mean by reducing the upper arm rom? Maybe I’m getting it wrong, I’m not sure how it’s reduced in the Russian dip...

 Believe what Alessandro is saying is that the primary goal of the Russian dip is to lower to your upper arm during the transition phase so that you can strengthen the shoulders through rotation. In your second method shown  you are lowering to the forearm which places the emphasis on the triceps.

The primary goal of the Russian dip is to strengthen the shoulder girdle during this transition phase. Whereas, interms of specific GST strength development, the forearm dip variation will have little to no carryover to more advanced skills like the muscle up. 

 

 

Jin Liu
52 minutes ago, Mikey Cunanan said:

 Believe what Alessandro is saying is that the primary goal of the Russian dip is to lower to your upper arm during the transition phase so that you can strengthen the shoulders through rotation. In your second method shown  you are lowering to the forearm which places the emphasis on the triceps.

The primary goal of the Russian dip is to strengthen the shoulder girdle during this transition phase. Whereas, interms of specific GST strength development, the forearm dip variation will have little to no carryover to more advanced skills like the muscle up. 

 

 

Thanks Mikey! This makes sense, and I agree with both of you. I also prefer the banded method as it allows full rom for the elbows. Other than that, does the form with the band look ok? Can I keep going like that, and just reduce assistance overtime?

Alessandro Mainente

Hei Jin , the band for must be revisited.

When you reach the bar with upper arm you should have already move backward and the shoulder must be exactly in line with the elbows in the same moment as the upper arm reaches the bar. Actually, you are reaching with shoulder forward rather than backward.

This problem it is technical, after doing the negative part you need to open the elbows to the side as much as you can.